We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids in Great Barrington

Alexandria, Virginia
7 posts
Save Topic
Kids in Great Barrington

Does anybody knows what fun activities there are for young kids at Great Barrington?

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,239 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids in Great Barrington

There is not really that much. Here is a website that might help.

southernberkshirechamber.com/family-fun.php

Lenox, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
344 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids in Great Barrington

Are you focused on GB only? I can't think of many GB specific things for kids other than the river walk.

If you are looking at the broader area just post. There are a few suggestions for the general Berkshires.

Alexandria, Virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids in Great Barrington

I am open to outside of the GB area, specially for young children (2 and 5 yr old). Thank you,

Lenox, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
344 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids in Great Barrington

I'll send you a more thorough overview of the area via message center with more details on those below, but here couple of things that may interest them.

The Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield http://berkshiremuseum.org/ has an area for small kids with info and displays on dinosaurs and an aquarium downstairs.

MassMOCA has a "Kidspace" area that normally has fun stuff for kids. The museum is also big enough that kids can stretch their legs instead of standing in one spot.

Tanglewood is surprisingly good for families with little kids. People with small children buy lawn tickets and sit towards the rear of the lawn where there is plenty of space for the kids to play while you listen to the concert. You can still see (via the large screens) and hear fine. It's like a picnic with live music.

We always felt hikes are great for young ones. There are tons of options. A very fun one with lots of huge rocks to climb over and on is Ice Glen in Stockbridge.

outdoors.org/publications/…curiousfissure.cfm

The Ashiwillticook rail trail is a great place to bike ride. 12 miles of flat trail, You can rent bikes locally (check the overview in message center). Not sure about child seat rentals, or if you need to bring your own.

Shakespeare and Company shakespeare.org/planning-your-visit/… often has good shows for little ones at their Rose Footprint Theater which is an outdoor tent.

The MacHaynd Theater, just a short ride from the Berkshires in Chatham, NY has an entire season of children's theater. www.machaydntheatre.org/ChildrensTheatre.html

There are lots and lots of beautiful lakes and rivers. You can rent kayaks or boats at a variety of places.

Plus..in the Berkshires you are never far from a great ice cream store!

Alexandria, Virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids in Great Barrington

Thank you so much for your suggestions. They sound great. I'll look into them.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids in Great Barrington

Ill hr stopping in berkshires on way home to boston.Any idea of places to stay with two boys 12&13?

Need swimming Lake or pool

no amusement pks.

Thank u

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids in Great Barrington

You will be relieved to know there aren't any amusement parks in the Berkshires. You might also want to post this as a stand alone question to get the best response - include a bit more info such as how long you plan to stay and what time of year.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids in Great Barrington

Not sure what u mean by stand alone? please advise?

August 16 &17. Will be heading home from Cooperstown.

Want a place with swimming. Pool or river. Pref a suite.

Thank you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids in Great Barrington

Not sure what u mean by stand alone? please advise?

August 16 &17. Will be heading home from Cooperstown.

Want a place with swimming. Pool or river. Pref a suite.

Thank you!

Alexandria, Virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kids in Great Barrington

I just went to visit GB and had a wonderful time in Lake Mansfield. It has a small beach area, lake, picnick tables, sand to build sand castles and a play ground. it was just what I wanted form my kids. Also has grills in case you want to grill.

Get answers to your questions about Great Barrington
More Great Barrington Topics