We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Harwich

Staying in Harwich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2016, 17:00

8 replies to this topic
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Harwich

Long Pond is not near the ocean. Is that what you were expecting? You'll have to drive and park for that, so ask if your unit has a beach parking permit. Otherwise, that could be an issue.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Harwich

Long Pond on the Harwich/Brewster border is a huge pond, another word for lake. I think it has several beaches and according to Pastiche who writes on here, it is excellent for swimming. Fresh water rather than salt water. However it is not the ocean, for that you will have to drive to one of the many beaches on the Cape. You will probably have to get a permit from the Town of Harwich. When we stayed in Harwichport we used Red River Beach.

You will have a car so you should make sure to visit the National Seashore beaches which stretch from Eastham up to Provincetown. Starting with Coast Guard Beach. A nearer ocean beach of the same kind is Nauset Beach in Orleans which is next door to Harwich. You can pay a daily parking fee there.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Harwich

Hi, Long Pond is a fresh water "kettle pond" off Rt.124, which runs between Harwich & Brewster. It is lovely, but is a smallish beach with calm water. If the owners have a kayak or canoe this is a perfect spot for that. It is a wonderful part of the Cape that you are sure to enjoy. If you use google maps for Harwich you can see its' location

If you want the ocean, you will need to drive - you will not have to pay to park in September. A beautiful ocean beach not too far from where you are staying is Nauset Beach in Orleans. There is also Bank St Beach in Harwich itself. Of course, you should also plan to visit a National Seashore beach or two which are the prettiest on the Cape!

I was typing at the same time as Senior - I just want to repeat - you do not need a sticker in September.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 14:10
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Harwich

You may have to pay for parking if you are on the Cape in the first week of September up to Labour Day, the first Monday in September, and sometimes a daily fee on weekends for a while afterwards at some beaches.

I assume that you will have a car although I just noticed that you didn't mention this or how you will be getting to the Cape.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Harwich

You will find you are close to food and other stores. Don't let the fact that you aren't on the ocean concern you at all. Every vacation I take on the cape is a short drive to some beach. It is not a big deal. Rent some bikes. The cape is not very wide so you can explore ocean and bay beaches. Enjoy

6. Re: Staying in Harwich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2016, 17:00

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Harwich

I'm sure that you will, too. Let us know if we can be of any further help. If Pastiche sees this I'm sure that she will help too as I believe that her family has long standing connexions with Harwich.

Norfolk...
Level Contributor
108 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Harwich

Harwich actually has two public beaches on Long Pond, one located right off Long Pond Drive and the other off Cahoon Road. Homes and neighborhoods along the pond also have their own access. Long Pond Drive runs between Rtes. 124 and 137- the Pleasant Lake General Store is close to the pond on Rte 124 and is more of a convenience store and offers sandwiches. Route 137 has more shopping, including a large supermarket, nearby. The bike trail also runs close to Long Pond so if you like to ride or walk, that is a nice option. Below (hopefully) is a link with some more information on Harwich's policies on beach stickers. Enjoy your trip- September is my favorite time of year on the Cape and Harwich is my favorite place to be.

harwichcommunitycenter.org/Departments/Recre…

Reply to: Staying in Harwich
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Harwich