We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie-Getting Around Without Car, Bike

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
201 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie-Getting Around Without Car, Bike

We will be going to the Cape soon and staying on Hyannis. We also will be visiting Martha's V. for a day. Tell me, once I get off the ferry in MV, what can I do in the immediate area? Are those pretty houses very close - are there shuttle buses to take me places and do you have any reccommendations? Also, on Hyannis, we are staying at the Haynnis Inn Hotel...what is the best beach from there and again, can I get a shuttle to the beach?

Lewisville, North...
Level Contributor
271 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie-Getting Around Without Car, Bike

There are three main towns on the eastern side of Martha's Vineyard (where the ferries let passengers off). Some ferries let you off in Vineyard Haven - the northernmost community. This area is the least commercial on the east side. Some will take you to Oak Bluffs and I think others take you to Edgartown. If you take the ferry to Oak Bluffs, that's where you will see the gingerbread houses (I assume that's what you're talking about). The houses are very close to where the ferry lets you off in Oak Bluffs. Just keep walking straight until you get to Circuit, take a left, and the houses will be on your right at a break in the buildings/ shops. You really can't miss it.

To get from town to town, there is a very easy, convenient public transportation system in place. Buses carry you all over the island. You can also take tours, but I understand that they do not let you off (except maybe one time on the western side of the island). If you want to see the whole island, take the tour. If you want to focus on the more commercial areas, just use public transportation to get from place to place.

Edgartown is interesting in different ways than Oak Bluffs. You still have shops and such, but you can easily walk down to the Edgartown Lighthouse. As you walk down Water Street (I think that's it), you will pass by a lot of renovated ship captains' houses. You can also walk out to Memorial Wharf and walk up top to the deck. I enjoyed watching the three-car ferry that took people back and forth between Edgartown and Chappaquiddick. Just remember that the pace is pretty slow on the Cape, including Martha's Vineyard. There's plenty to do, but be sure to take the time to soak things in. Also, I think you are going to be going at the height of tourist season. Be sure to take some patience on the trip with you. The Cape is very popular (and therefore crowded) in July and August.

I can't help you on the Hyannis questions. My husband and I stayed up in Sandwich.

Have a wonderful time!

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
666 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie-Getting Around Without Car, Bike

First, there are several ferries to MV. You can take Hy-Line from Hyannis. They have either a slow inexpensive ferry or the high speed expensive one. Hy-Line from Hyannis to MV would not be my recommendation. You'll spend half the day or half your budget on the ferry. In the Falmouth area Is the Woods Hole Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Steamship Authority. The big problem with the Steamship Authority is parking. They have limited space available. In summer, I would almost guarantee you will have to park somewhere other than at the terminal and take a shuttle bus. Finding the satellite lots can be a problem, one of them is a half-hour away. It's not uncommon to see the sign on the highway say "All Lots Full" in which case you're out of luck. In my opinion, the best way (maybe the only way) to get there is the Island Queen from Falmouth. The only downside to the Island Queen is they shut down for the day around 7:00 p.m. (A little later on weekends and holidays). They have plenty of parking and run an excellent operation. They also have always set their prices a buck or two less than everyone else.

That said, each of the above ferries arrive right in the middle of it all in Oak Bluffs. First stop is The Flying Horses Carousel http://www.mvpreservation.org/carousel.html. Catch the brass ring for a free ride or make like the locals and see how many rings you can grab in one pass.

From the Flying Horses, walk up the hill on Circuit Ave past all the tee-shirt shops and ice-cream cones and honky-tonk. While you are on Circuit Ave, although you can't see it until you enter the grounds, the Camp Meeting Association http://www.mvcma.org/ will be on your right. There is a sign at the entrance, or ask anyone.

Then find the MV Regional Transit bus http://www.vineyardtransit.com/Pages/index and ride over to Vineyard Haven or Edgartown, or take the tour out to Aquinnah (formerly Gay Head) to see the cliffs.

There's plenty to see just walking around. A day-trip is very worthwhile and you'll get a pretty good taste of it all.

3. Re: Newbie-Getting Around Without Car, Bike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 15:19