We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back July 7,2007

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
199 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back July 7,2007

Just came back. We left July 4th and there was no traffic at all. It took us like 5 hours from Jersey, which is kind of unbelievable. OUr hotel was much better than I thought, we stayed at the Hyannis Motel Inn. It was very clean, the staff very friendly and the room was big and comfortable. The only thing that would have made it better was if it had shampoo, a hair dryer and a clock (which I knew to bring). It did not have an outdoor pool, but the way the weather was, it didn't really matter. We did get a beach day in on the first day and we saw the town 4th of July parade which was like watching a slice of American pie. They really did it good and it was very convient for us as it was right by our motel. For breakfast we ate at Persey's, Pancake Man and Hearth and Kettle; all excellent. Dinner we ate at the Lobster Boat, Christophers Steak House and Skppers. Lobster Boat won best clam chowder at the Cape a few weeks ago but I think Skipphers was much better. Lobster Boat's was luke warm, soup should be steaming but I think you can find a good bowl of chowder in most places. Thursday was miserable, it rained or was very overcast all day so we drove up to Sandwich and even my annoyed 13 year old enjoyed the Heritage Gardens with its labrynth (sp), carosel , cars and other interesting places. Sandwich was just gorgeous, I love all things historical but the topper was when we stopped for tea at Mrs. Dunbars. We were all so thrilled with the whole experience. It was our first tea and I don't know if we were starving or what, but I never tasted anything so delicous - I want to make those tea sandwiches at home! We did not take the ferry over as there were 4-6 foot waves and I'm a nervous nellie to begin with but now we have something, no many things to do on our return trip back. All in all, a wonderful little getaway.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back July 7,2007

Glad you had an enjoyable time, despite the weather ;-)

Had to chuckle...

Have eaten at Pancake Man, Hearth & Kettle, Christopher's & Lobster Boat.

Did NOT like any of them but that was then and this is now ;-)

We'll be on the Cape in just under two weeks. Yippee :-)

When we took the boat (Island Queen outta Falmouth) over to MV last August it was a real dismal day. But, it was the day before we were to head home so we decided to make a go of it. By the time we got to the island it was raining, not to mention COLD. I'll tell you, for a rainy day there were plenty of people there, didn't keep anyone away that's for sure. The four of us ended up buying sweatshirts, found 'em for $10 a piece so that wasn't awful. By the time we boarded the boat to head back it was still raining (lightly) but oh brudder talk about waves.

We sat on the large open deck and got soaked when we hit one particularly large wave. The water came up over the front of the boat (pardon me, I mean 'bow'') and I think I swallowed a mouthful of salt water, LOL.

I typically do not mind boats but I was never so happy as when we got back to shore, LOL.

Naomi :-)

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back July 7,2007

Wow -- I didn't know the Pancake Man was still around! Back in the '60s, my brother was a bus boy at the one in Dennisport (no longer in business), and my sister worked at the Dog 'n' Suds on Herring River in West Harwich, where the Weatherdeck is now.

Newjerseydaisy, is Mrs. Dunbar's a restaurant or strictly a tea room?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
199 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back July 7,2007

Patische, at Dunbars I did notice several customers having soup. I do recall on the menu that they also serve crusty bread and cheeses or meats and that sort of thing. DH had pecan pie and a cold drink. Tea is served 11-4. Pancake Man pancakes served me the hottest pancakes I have ever eaten in a restaurant. They were right off the grill. Maybe I just got lucky that day; but I would definitely go back for breakfast. Regarding Lobster Boat, Christopher's and Skipper's - I probably would not go back. DH wanted meat so that's why we went to Christophers. I'm not a meat eater and truthfully I thought the Outback makes a better prime rib than I had at Christophers. Alough the meals were good and the chowder outstanding at Skippers; I would rather try another place with hopes that I would eat even better. After hearing about your adventure on the ferry, I am very glad I did not go. I would have passed out from fear, lol!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back July 7,2007

If you're back in the area again, and like a thick chowder, try Captain Parkers across the street from the Lobster Boat.....they've won the International Chowder Cook Off in Newport, RI so many times that they can't compete in it anymore....they're in the Hall of Fame division now....

It's a little too thick for some (your spoon can stand straight up) but if you like it that way, you'll be hard pressed to find it better.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
199 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back July 7,2007

Upon reading the ads for the restaurants, it seems most places have won "best chowder" making it all confusing. We didn't go to Parkers because I read several people thought the chowder was too salty. Let's put it this way. Now that I am back home, I think it will be hard to top any of the chowders I ate at the Cape and I live near the Jersey shore.

6. Re: Just Back July 7,2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 04:19