We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A full Cape day, but too much?

Which Hyannis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A full Cape day, but too much?

With only one day on the Cape at the end of September, here is my hopefully itinerary. Is this too much for one Saturday?

• Get up early from our Hyannis hotel and catch the ferry to Nantucket for breakfast (I heard Black Eyed Susans was the best ... that right?) and a few hours of walking around Nantucket. We wouldn't be able to see all of it, but maybe a couple hours worth of sightseeing.

• Back to Hyannis by mid-afternoon and drive up the cape toward Provincetown, stopping at whatever spots look cool (chatham, maybe wellfleet?, something called the golden marsh?). At some point having dinner somewhere on the drive or in Provincetown (any suggestions anybody?).

• And then drive back and have a drink somewhere in (or at least near!) Hyannis. Any suggestions on a good pub w/ a view?

Is that too much? Can you make the drive from Hyannis to Provincetown and back, with a few short-ish stops along the way, in, say, 5 or 6 hours time? (2 pm-8pm?)

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A full Cape day, but too much?

Yes that is too ambitious....if you have just one day, skip Nantucket. You will have plenty to do/see on your drive from Hyannis up to Provincetown.

Brax Landing in Harwich has a nice view for dinner and a drink, or head back towards Hyannis Harbor and check out a few of the options around there....remember though, the sun is setting around 6:30 so that might limit where you'll be for drinks with a view...

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A full Cape day, but too much?

Wow! That's some day trip! Sounds more like a long weekend trip! Anyway, try to pick one itinerary or the other: doing both is not really practical and both are fairly time consuming. You're going to receive feedback both for/against either choice....either one is great, just not both in the same day. Having said that, if you do decide to try Nantucket to Ptown in one day, please post a trip report as I'm sure many here would love to read about it!

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A full Cape day, but too much?

You've already heard that you're trying to do too much...I agree.

Here's a possible itinerary for the Ptown option:

Get up early and head to Chatham for breakfast. Wander around the town a bit and be sure to go out to see the lighthouse and the view of the Atlantic.

Make your way north and spend some time at one of the National Seashore beaches--they're all spectacular.

Arrive in Provincetown in the midafternoon. Consider renting bikes from Nelson's (just north of Route 6) and tour the bike trail out to Race Point Beach. Go back into town for dinner at one of the many restaurants. Stroll the town window shopping.

Get back to Hyannis late (it will take you close to 1 hour to get back to Hyannis from Ptown) and find a spot to have a drink.

You could also do this in reverse having dinner in Chatham or at Brax on your return.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A full Cape day, but too much?

ccrosner: This is a Great plan! I'd make one minor change regarding dinner on the way back to Hyannis....IMO, the best thing about Brax lately has been the view and it may be dark by the time Pacecar passes through. Perhaps dinner at the Impudent Oyster in Chatham (or one of the other restaurants there, Squire or Christian's) might be an option.

berkley, ma
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A full Cape day, but too much?

Everyone is correct on this plan waaaayyyy to much ! ccrosner 's plan is the plan and when you go to Brax the lobster roll is my favorite a little pricey but BIG

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A full Cape day, but too much?

Oh boy, I'm tired just looking @ your itinerary ;-)

Whatever you do, wherever you go, have a GREAT time!

Naomi :-)

Stamford...
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A full Cape day, but too much?

• Get up early from our Hyannis hotel and catch the ferry to Nantucket ( @ 06:20?) for breakfast (I heard Black Eyed Susans was the best ... that right?) and a few hours of walking around Nantucket (until 14:30?). We wouldn't be able to see all of it, but maybe a couple hours worth of sightseeing.

• Back to Hyannis by mid-afternoon - WAIT A MINUTE!!!

If you get much past this - I bow to you. Move your car to the municipal lot at the docks & get something to eat & drink at Spanky's. Have fun....

ADM HALSEY

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A full Cape day, but too much?

... I had a feeling you all would put me in my place. Thank you for that, by the way. We actually have from Friday noon until Sunday noon in Hyannis/Cape. So, maybe we do the P'town drive w/ stops on Friday afternoon and evening. And then do Nantucket on Saturday and spend Saturday night close to our hotel and bouncing around from spot to spot in Hyannis. Does this sound better?

We were going to use Friday night just to hang in Hyannis, but from what you all say, there's more too see on the P'Town drive and in Nantucket than Hyannis, so we'll use our time Friday more wisely now.

One more question: High-speed ferry or just the normal ferry to Nantucket? (not taking car, just ourselves)

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A full Cape day, but too much?

Your new itinerary sounds wonderful :-)

Hmmm, I've never been to Nantucket so can't help you there.

When we were on the Cape, back in July, my Dad and his girlfriend took the high speed ferry to Nantucket outta Harwichport. Parking is plentiful and free. If the difference in price isn't that significant I'd opt to go with the high speed personally. JMO

Naomi :-)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A full Cape day, but too much?

Now that's a doable plan and definitely visit Nantucket....it is wonderful. nice if you have bikes to explore the island. friends have rented jeep wranglers on Nantucket to get around in. I would discourage Anyone from renting a motorbike, scooter thingy...very dangerous.

High speed ferry out of harwichport, sasquetucket harbor, next to brax restaurant is def the way to go. type in high speed ferry on a TA search and you'll get their web site. check to make sure the high speed ferry is running when you want to go...Otherwise, just take the ferry out of hyannis...cheaper ride. Have fun, september is glorious up here.