We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Oct.8th - 12th - What are the MUST DO's!

Which Hyannis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling Oct.8th - 12th - What are the MUST DO's!

Getting excited for our Fall trip to Boston. Staying in Hyannis. What MUST we DO while on our short trip? We love nature, road trips, nightlife, food! What are the MUST DO's? Unique things to do while we are here? Thank you!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling Oct.8th - 12th - What are the MUST DO's!

The Cape is getting a bit drowsy this time of year so nightlife is going to be rather subdued. Head out of Hyannis and visit the National Seashore.

The little Cape towns are particularly charming now: make time to visit Chatham, Provincetown, Harwiches, Falmouth (check a map, I've just sent you everywhere in no particular order!). Once in Ptown, see if you can take a whalewatch for a few hours.

Inaho, not far from Hyannis has fantastic sushi. Ocean House is starting (has started?) their 3 course prix fixe menu and it's good. The Squire in downtown Chatham is great for local specialties...Check out their baked cod for dinner; it melts on the fork.

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Oct.8th - 12th - What are the MUST DO's!

I’m not super excited about Hyannis. The only time I recommend it is if people are on a strict budget or have plans to visit the Islands. I would not recommend it for a nature lover or road trip enthusiast or honeymooners. I suppose it’s too late to change your hotel?

I’m with Fussy guest that the more charming Outer Cape is a good place to enjoy the stark beauty of the season. I think you’ll find that a lot of the art galleries out there are open if you like them Wellfleet oysters are at their peak. There is a cute vineyard out there too. P-Town is the place to go for a nice dinner out along with some window shopping and people watching. If you get a nice, clear day there are lots of hiking opportunities and you can even get a shellfish permit and try your hand at it if the tides cooperate. It's a lovely time of year.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Oct.8th - 12th - What are the MUST DO's!

I agree! Head to the outer cape and the National Seashore. The Salt Pond Visitor's Center in Eastham is a good place to start. From there visit some of the National Seashore ocean beaches and catch a sunset at one of the local Bay beaches (I like First Encounter, also in Eastham). Fort Hill is so beautiful at this time of year, with golden fields, blue sky and Marsh/Ocean views that will take your breath away. The trails in the area are gentle and provide a varied landscape from field, forest and swamp (boardwalk)

You might also like to visit the Wellfleet Audubon Sanctuary (just after the Drive-In theater) for lovely walks on the Bay side. There are still lots of things to do early in October...although the pace on the cape has slowed, it has not stopped. IF you decide to stay on the outer cape you might enjoy a concert at the First Encounter Coffee House in Eastham http://www.firstencounter.org/sked.htm and a play at the WHAT theater in Wellfleet http://www.what.org/

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling Oct.8th - 12th - What are the MUST DO's!

Have a great time, whatever you end up doing!

My husband and I are heading up next Thursday PM and staying for 4 nights. So looking forward to it!!

Naomi :-)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling Oct.8th - 12th - What are the MUST DO's!

I like Ardeo on Main in Hyannis. (There's another Ardeo in Hyannis, not on Main street...I haven't been there, so I'm making the distinction!)

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling Oct.8th - 12th - What are the MUST DO's!

Thanks to all! Very helpful! Although we are on a bit of a budget (this is mainly why we are staying in Hyannis) we did rent a car so we are free to venture - which is good. Going to have a great time! Thanks again for the travel tips!

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling Oct.8th - 12th - What are the MUST DO's!

Where is the best place to get a Bloody Mary?!?!? :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling Oct.8th - 12th - What are the MUST DO's!

For a Bloody Mary in P-Town, try Fanizzi's

www.fanizzisrestaurant.com/cocktails.html

(and their buffalo wings, too!

or Napi's

9. Re: Traveling Oct.8th - 12th - What are the MUST DO's!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 01:16