We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Boston/Salem/Cape cod in March...Questions

Nashville, TN
5 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Boston/Salem/Cape cod in March...Questions

Me and my husband will be going to Boston, Salem, Plymouth, and Cape cod the end of march 2010 for our anniversary. we will be staying in boston, salem, and cape cod. I mainly have questions about Salem and Cape Cod. Will restaurants be open? What will the weather be like? Planing on staying in/near Hyannis. thanks so much!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Boston/Salem/Cape cod in March...Questions

March weather can be anything, from blizzards to springlike or anything in between. Not exactly the time of year I would recommend for Cape Cod. At least Salem has some other attractions, although March is not ideal for there either. Boston, I think, is the much better choice. There's always a lot see, everything is open, and there are tons of choices around restaurants. If you absolutely HAVE to make a side trip, maybe a weekend day in Newport would make some sense. Otherwise, Boston's a good place to be.

Level Contributor
421 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Boston/Salem/Cape cod in March...Questions

Everything is open in Salem in March. I would suggest checking www.weather.com for average temps in Massachusetts- it will still be cold, but hope is often in the air for spring. As long as you are bundled up you will be fine. Some people prefer the fewer crowds of the "off-season", especially on the Cape. I you have one week, I agree with Alanm to stay in Boston the majority of the time, Salem can be a day trip or an overnight, and the Cape or Newport an overnight or two depending on what you are looking for (more nature vs. the city, etc.). Happy Anniversary!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
869 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Boston/Salem/Cape cod in March...Questions

You will have plenty of good restaurants to choose from on the Cape. The weather????? Bring polar fleece for warmth and gortex to go over it and you will be able to go anywhere. As long as there is no rain/snow or big wind and you dress right you'll be fine.

You certainly won't have to fight the crowds!

Nashville, TN
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Boston/Salem/Cape cod in March...Questions

Thanks so much for everyones answers. We are going to do an overnight in Salem and the Cape. We will spend the rest of the time in Boston. I just hate not to leave Boston when everything is so close, this could be our only chance to see the Cape.

Mashpee, Ma
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Boston/Salem/Cape cod in March...Questions

Glad to see you will be making it to the Cape on your trip. Cape Cod is very seasonal but it does not completly shut down after Labor Day! There is a significant year round community. Plenty of places are open year round. As long as you have the gear to keep you warm & dry you will be just fine. Enjoy the beauty & peacefullness of Cape Cod in the off season!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,023 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Boston/Salem/Cape cod in March...Questions

If Lacey is still monitoring this question I'll chime in with a suggestion for an overnight in Falmouth. If you book the 'quiet season' at lovely, seaview Inn on the Sound you'll have conversations with the excellent hosts at this inn that will serve to direct you to the activities, dining, sightseeing that will suit you best. http://www.innonthesound.com

cork
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Boston/Salem/Cape cod in March...Questions

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary. I would suggest you visit Viator website for Boston and book what interests ye before you go. We did a trip with them to Kennenkbunkport, it was a lovely trip, but we did it in September. Also , bring the woolies and wrap up tight, try and walk Boston Common, Peoples garden, a visit to the JFK museum might be worthwhile while in Boston. For best food visit the Cheese Cake Factory in Boston. everything about the Hyannis/Cape is overpriced but do take a trip to the islands. enjoy.

8. Re: Traveling to Boston/Salem/Cape cod in March...Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2010, 06:17