We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July Weekend Traffic

Cumberland, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4th of July Weekend Traffic

Hello! I am heading to the Cape for a wedding 4th of July weekend. This year its on a Friday. Do you think it would be best to head down/up on the 3rd of July in the evening? Or really early on the 4th?

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
671 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July Weekend Traffic

Sounds like you're expecting traffic to be a mess. It always has been and sure will be again this year. I would figure big backups until at least 9:00 p.m. Thursday and after 9:00 a.m. Friday. Returning Sunday will be the same or maybe even worse.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July Weekend Traffic

You're going to hit it either way, but I think early morning on the 4th would be better.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July Weekend Traffic

The problem with arriving on the 4th is that many roads on Cape are closed due to parades. Where are you staying? Was there a minimum night stay?

Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of July Weekend Traffic

We are going to Provincetown for that weekend we are leaving extremely early Thursday and spending the day in town until we can check in. We are just hoping to avoid holiday traffic.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,635 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4th of July Weekend Traffic

I think it would be best to leave early on the morning of the 3rd and then come back on Saturday, not Sunday, if your goal is to avoid traffic.

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4th of July Weekend Traffic

Flying in to Boston Late afternoon of June 27th headed to Hyannis....any tips on best route to take driving in? Driving back to Boston to catch a 1PM flight on July 4th.....recommendation on when we should plan to depart Hyannis allowing time to return a rental?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4th of July Weekend Traffic

From Boston to Hyannis you take rt 93 south to rt 3 south. I don't think you'll hit too much traffic driving off the cape on Friday July 4th but I'd still leave early.

Cumberland, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4th of July Weekend Traffic

Thank you!

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4th of July Weekend Traffic

Start driving now

Cumberland, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4th of July Weekend Traffic

Robfg51: I am staying in South Yarmouth. It is a family house so we can go up whenever we want.