We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th in the Berkshires

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
July 4th in the Berkshires

Hi

I am going to be spending the week ending the 4th of July in the Berkshires (Hancock) with my wife and 17 and 19 yo. Looking for something fun to do with the family on the 4th? Can be traditional fireworks, battlefield events or whatever. I appreciate any and all suggestions. Also, any other suggestions for must see/do are welcome. We love to hike, rock climb, antique, raft/kayak. Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4th in the Berkshires

Hi,

I will let the locals answer your questions more thoroughly, but I just wanted to tell you that the Berkshires are a beautiful area and you will have no problem at all finding hiking, rafting, antiqueing or rock climbing. The Berkshires have it all! Enjoy your visit.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4th in the Berkshires

I have a friend who is a guide with Zoar. They offer raft trips and other outdoor adventures.

www.zoaroutdoor.com/whitewaterrafting.htm

The Mass Audubon Society has wildlife sancuaries across the state with nice hiking trails http://www.massaudubon.org/

Mt Greylock is our highest peak and has lots of nice trails.

mountainsummits.com/mountains/…greylock.htm

My hunch is that the James Taylor concert is sold out but he will be at Tanglewood and its a great place to enjoy a concert, picnic and fireworks on the 4th.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4th in the Berkshires

Thanks for the responses. Actually, I have JT tix for the 3rd right in front of the stage. I am not too psyched. We spend alot of time in NH and I am originally from Ma. but never spent much time in the Berkshires and am really looking forward to this trip.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4th in the Berkshires

Check back in early June. I was poking around and didn't see many of the towns July 4th day activities posted yet.

Lucky you to have JT tickets :) That will be very cool.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4th in the Berkshires

My search did find a bluegrass festival at Stratton Mountain which is an easy day trip from Hancock with stops in Bennington, Arlington and Manchester on the way. I have not searched Bennington yet, but I am guessing that with the whole Green Mountain Boys thing going on, that it will have something as well as Albany.

Pittsfield
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 4th in the Berkshires

Hancock Shaker Village is in Hancock, although your teen-agers might find it a little boring. There's a mini waterpark at Bousquets, about 5 miles, and a larger one with alpine slide at Jimini Peak.There's always fireworks at Tanglewood and Wahconah Park (after the AA baseball game).Berkshires.org will list events that are already scheduled...more to follow I'm sure.Major antique area in Sheffield, about 20 min. south, and Tons of hiking trails all over...check out the State Parks for starters.Be sure to check out the great museums if you can...Norman Rockwell, The Clark, and your kids will probably love Mass MOCA. Berkshire Theater Festival, Shakespeare and Company, and Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival are other options. Have a great time!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July 4th in the Berkshires

Thanks for suggestions.

8. Re: July 4th in the Berkshires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 21:15