We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanglewood James Taylor

Michigan
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Tanglewood James Taylor

Hi, I am flying from Michigan to see James Taylor at Tanglewood on the 4th of July. I may come on 3rd and stay 5 or 6 days. Want to get out to the ocean (maybe the cape or rhode island) I am 55 and traveling with my boyfriend. Thought a B&B might be nice in Lennox but am open. Got to have some ocean and seafood. We will have a rental car. Anyone have some great ideas. This is a very special event for us (especially me) So happy I got pre- sale tickets.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanglewood James Taylor

Hi, that's great about the tickets.The majority of places on the Cape & the Berkshires will have a 2-night minimum over the weekend, so I would suggest planning to head to Lenox as soon as you arrive on the 3rd. Last year we stayed at the Briarcliff Motel on the 4th in nearby Great Barrington, it is less than 15 minutes to Tanglewood. It is a cool place & they have a very good breakfast.

http://thebriarcliffmotel.com/

There are lots of other places to stay, this is a good general website:

www.berkshires.org

You could then head to Cape Cod. I would suggest leaving the Berkshires by noon, traffic is likely to be heavy on the Mass Turnpike on Sunday but you should be going against it as you get closer to Cape Cod. The Cape has 15 different towns, each with its own "personality" We love the lower Cape, towns closest to the tip. Lots and lots of B&BS, check out Fort Hill B&B in Eastham.

Speaking of traffic, be prepared to sit in it at Tanglewood after the concert - there's no avoiding it. Last year, we paid extra for parking (it is free but you can pay to get closer to the gates) thinking that this would allow us to get out more easily. That was not the case!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanglewood James Taylor

JT is a special concert. Not sure about the ocean part. You may want to consider how much time in traffic you will spend on a short trip to decide if worth effort.

Michigan
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanglewood James Taylor

Wow all this traffic talk makes it sound like LA. I thought arrival day on 3rd to settle into a place in Lennox or near. Then maybe there is something nice to do near Tanglewood for sight seeing/dinner. Have the 4th to do a day activity before the concert. Explore and make a picnic. I also thought Martha's Vinyard or Nantucket or the cape is where we could stay and fly out of Boston. Or take off and arrive at Boston and drive to Lennox. Thanks to both for good suggestions. Love this forum.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanglewood James Taylor

Hi, your plan is do-able. You can fly in & out of Boston, rent the car at Logan Airport drive out to Lenox on the 3rd, stay 2 nights, then head to Cape Cod for 2 or 3 nights, returning to Logan. Don't mean to scare you about the traffic but having dealt with it after concerts at Tanglewood and on the Pike on Sundays & holidays I just wanted you to be aware.

When you get to the Berkshires on the 3rd, have dinner at the Dream Away Lodge in Becket. On July 4th you could visit any number of wonderful places including Naumkeag

thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/berkshires/n…

or The Mount

https://www.edithwharton.org/

Michigan
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanglewood James Taylor

Thanks Kendric. Do you or anyone think Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard is too much. I've been to both but my friend has not. I always thought it was cool. In fact everything I have done on the east coast has been great.

conn
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanglewood James Taylor

Boy , glad I read this post, got my JT July 4th tickets yesterday.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanglewood James Taylor

Hi,

We are Rob and Kris and we too are going to see James Taylor July 4th at Tanglewood. We are flying in from South Carolina and we will be there from July 2nd- and leaving the 8th. We are empty nesters, and seeing James Taylor is on my wife's bucket list. It is also a very special trip for us. We are looking to book a room at a bed and breakfast also. Have you found one yet? I know it's getting very busy there. Anyway, if you haven't I was thinking maybe we could find a house to rent on VRBO or somewhere and split the cost. Just a thought, let me know. email. kingme265@gmail.com

New England, USA
Level Contributor
139 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanglewood James Taylor

I think what people are referring to regarding the traffic is your plan to visit Cape Cod, the Vineyard or Nantucket as well as Lenox in the short span of 5-6 days. The drive from Lenox to Falmouth, MA, with no traffic is close to 3 hours. Summer weekends, the traffic can be horrible, could be more like a 3.5 to 4 hour drive. You need to be prepared if that's what you want to do. The ferry to MV is 90 minutes and you need to make reservations in advance if you're bringing the car. In short, you could spend the better part of a day just getting there.

Look into Gloucester/Rockport area of MA to get your fix of the ocean and quaint seaside towns. You'd also be near historic Salem, and 45 minutes from Logan airport.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanglewood James Taylor

Sometimes for the JT concert this route off the Turnpike allows you to skip a bunch of traffic (you only get traffic at the end):

Find Fuller Street on a Map - right next to the Turnpike exit in Lee (turn as if going to Lee center, but then take a right on Fuller past the Shell station)

Fuller Street TO Greylock Street TO Mill Street TO Walker Street - and then straight across Route 20, through the lights (this is where you meet up with the traffic again).and up the hill to Lenox center and the road to Tanglewood

conn
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanglewood James Taylor

Been trying for months to get decent lodging near Tanglewood for the 4th, all sold out.