We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Menemsha beach from a ferry?

Boston...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to get to Menemsha beach from a ferry?

Good afternoon all!

We wanted to take a trip to Menemsha beach (as I understand, it is a part of Marha's Vineyard):

1. We are going from Boston, therefore could park our car in Falmouth and take a ferry from Woods Hole. Where would this ferry bring us geography wise on Martha's Vineyard? Could we park the car overnight over there? Is it better to leave the car in Hyannis and go from Hyannis?

2. How long is this beach from a ferry stop?

3. What are the best hotels/inns close to this beach?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Menemsha beach from a ferry?

Memensha is a small town on the western end of Martha's Vineyard (MV). It is in the rural part of MV. So you get to MV by either ferry or airplane. I usually take the Woods Hole ferry. That ferry, by the way, is the only one that takes cars, but it's a really good idea to get a reservation for your car. It's expensive, too. Look up something like "Steamship Authority Wood's Hole" to get the details.

The Hyannis ferry takes a little longer; Wood's Hole is the closest to MV of the ferries, I'm pretty sure.

The ferries only go in to two places: Oak Bluffs, and Vineyard Haven. These are two of the three big towns on the island. You would still need to get to Menemsha from the ferry landing. If you bring your car, obviously do that.

You can also go by (1) taxi, (2) public bus or tour bus but check the hours and terms of these, and (3) bicycle or moped. Personally I would not use a bike or a moped to get to Menemsha as I consider it too dangerous, and it's actually a pretty far distance on a bicycle. The roads can be windy, no shoulders, and trucks and cars fly down the roads. No thanks.

Are you planning to stay overnight? This would be quite an effort if you are planning to go just for the day. There are 2 or 3 small inns in Menemsha but I will let others describe them. I have never stayed there.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Menemsha beach from a ferry?

Adding to MaxieLu

Menemsha is in an expensive part of an expensive island if this makes a difference. Also, looking at the bus map, it seems there are at least 2 bus changes that you would have to make to get there. Not sure why you chose menemsha but OB, VH or E are better choices for the transportation challenged visitor.

Boston...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Menemsha beach from a ferry?

MaxieLu - thank you. This was great help, there were some things described by you I did not know about. We were thinking to possibly stay for a night or 2 and found a couple of places not too far from the beach. Taking a car with us is way too expensive:) I was just thinking to park it overnight at Woods Hole or something.

So I figured taxi would be the only suitable option for us if we decided to go to this beach. I'll do some research on the rates.

neslaw1. I read about it on boston.com as one of the best 10 beaches (with the most beautiful sunsets in the state) in MA and doing some research online, intuition just told me to try it. I never been to Martha's or Nantucket so I wouldn't know what OB, VH or E are....

I've been to Cape's Craigville Beach every summer in Centerville but would love to try something new. I know it is very expensive, especially this time of year!:)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Menemsha beach from a ferry?

Hi, there is parking in Woods Hole, for the Steamship Authority ferry the cost is $12.00 per 24 hour period. Follow the signs on 28 for ferry parking, there is a free shuttle that brings you down to the boat. The sunsets at Menemsha are spectacular.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Menemsha beach from a ferry?

OB- oak bluffs

VH Vineyard have

E Edgartown

the three main towns on the island.

You could stay in one of them for less than the Inns in Menemsha unless that is just not an issue.

Just to help you out, it is not Martha's, it is "the vineyard" or MV here on TA. Seems it would make some sense to read about MV either here on TA or elsewhere on the web so you can get an idea of where you are going and why you are going there (besides hopefully a great sunset).

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
919 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Menemsha beach from a ferry?

By the time you pay for the parking on the mainland @ $12/calendar day and the $60 minimum taxi fare one way from the ferry to Menemsha, you're getting close to the Steamship Authority rates for bringing a car over. I do believe there is something nice about not having the car though, as the added stress of parking and driving will be left to someone else. Menemsha is a beautiful part of the island and there are two lodging establishments in the town with close access to the beach: The Beach Plum Inn and Menemsha Inn. Both run by the same people, I believe. The beach is a bit rocky, the water cool and yes, as kendrick said the sunsets are spectacular (as they are on any shore of the island facing west). It can get rather crowded, so it's not a secluded beach, by any means. But, a nice spot to enjoy, nonetheless. You'll be able to buy something to eat, within walking distance, such as fried seafood, a whole boiled lobster, steamers, crackers with seafood spreads, etc. The Beach Plum Inn has a restaurant and is considered fine dining. It is a 'dry' area, so you will be responsible for bringing your own alcohol. Menemsha is one of six towns on the island, the others being Oak Bluffs (OB), Vineyard Haven (VH), Edgartown (E), West Tisbury and Chilmark. Martha's Vineyard is the name of the island, but no towns go by that name.

Boston...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Menemsha beach from a ferry?

So glad I found this forum:)

Thanks to all of you guys for such great tips/advice and education! I am still thinking on how to go best about it and will discuss with my friend by showing all of your responses. We definetely want to do lobster and dining (of course money is always tight, but it is probably worth it).

Reply to: How to get to Menemsha beach from a ferry?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Menemsha