We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayaking near plum island

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
kayaking near plum island

Are there easy put-ins to kayak in this area? Anybody have a favorite area,even close by? Don't have sea kayak- but my kayak is stable.

Parker River National Wildlife Refuge
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Waterfront Park
Parks, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Plum Island
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Beaches
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: kayaking near plum island

You would probably want to kayak in the marsh that divides Plum Island from the mainland or in the Merrimack River. The oceanfront of the island has a steep drop off and big waves. The Parker River Wildlife Refuge (small entry fee) has lots where you could leave your car to access the marsh. There's also a lot at the river end of the island too. Weekends are crowded though.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kayaking near plum island

Unfortunately I don't actually kayak myself so I don't know what would be a desirable spot, but it's a popular activity.

There is a local kayaking outfit that has an office in downtown Newburyport that might be willing to offer some advice, although I think their business is primarily renting kayaks:

http://www.plumislandkayak.com/plum/index.php

they have a page of maps and routes that should probably answer your query:

www.plumislandkayak.com/plum/local_charts.htm

The marsh area between downtown Newburyport and Plum Island is called "Joppa Flats." I've had the URL joppaflats.com registered for about 10 years. Someday I should stop wasting time answering questions on tripadvisor and develop that website as a social networking site for Newburyport.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: kayaking near plum island

Two great maps, thomas, of exactly the places I was trying to describe.

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kayaking near plum island

thanks - maps are great - now is the marsh enjoyable, or is it I like seeing birds, animals, and homes - is there any type of route that has that or is it a long ride of just seeing marsh on either side of you?

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: kayaking near plum island

There are always birds. There are also a lot of deer in the park that tend to come out at dusk. You can often see them from the road, so I assume you could also from the marsh. There are summer homes (some now perm) from the tip of the island down, across from the marsh, but they stop at the park entrance just after the bridge.

Massachusetts
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: kayaking near plum island

We like to start in the PI basin and head towards Woodbridge Island. There are lots of little inlets to explore. You can go to maps.google.com and zoom in to the satellite view.

(If you want more info on Plum Island: http://www.squidoo.com/plum_island )

7. Re: kayaking near plum island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Newburyport