We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

Cambridge...
2 posts
Save Topic
Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

I'll be staying in Newburyport for a two week stay in late April/early May. I don't own a car. Although I know the town itself is very walkable, I am wondering whether it makes sense to try to rent one during my stay or just to stick with a bike. I don't want to be restricted just to the town center

For example, the ocean and the beaches seem a bit far away--are they accessible by bike? Are many local attractions car-accessible

thanks!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

the beaches are easily accessible by bike. the advantage of going to the beach by bike is it's really easy to find parking. the disadvantage is it's harder to bring a beach chair. I let a friend stay at our place (in downtown NPBT) a few years ago. although I lent him my truck, I think he got around mostly by bike. of course with a car you can drive up to Seabrook to go to Walmart and to shop at NH State Liquor stores.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

Some of the more interesting parts of the Plum Island bird sanctuary are accessible by dirt/gravel road, which might be a drag with a bicycle. I don't often see bicyclists out birding, perhaps for that reason.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

You may want to rent a car for a few days. Check out the general area and see what you'd like to go see.

Try to visit Maudsley State Park while in Newburyport. It's a 500 acre former estate west of town on the river and reachable by bike.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

and since weather can be iffy (rainy), biking may not always be the best mode of transport. May make sense to rent a car for days that you want one as suggested.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

You can reach the beach by bike starting from the center of town but it's April/early May so who knows what the weather would be and how much time you'd spend there. I would definitely spring for the car so you can venture further afield.

Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

I think the bike is a good suggestion given what you want to do. After all, if the weather isn't decent enough to ride a bike to the beaches then chances are you're not going to want to go anyhow.

Newburyport...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

I've heard that Newburyport is the smallest city in MA to have an airport, bus station AND train. (Granted, the airport is a grass field). Biking to the beach is very doable. It's about 6 miles. But, late April is still chilly. There are also several taxi companies that service Newburyport. (Cars Port seems to be the most prevalent, although their cars aren't exactly showroom quality).

Also, I believe there is an Enterprise Auto Rental, in the next town over (Salisbury). So, if you attempt visiting by bike, and change your mind, it wouldn't be a huge inconvenience.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

and don't forget that Newburyport has a port, so that's another way to get around town: by boat. I was about to ask if the OP had a Pilot's license.

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
556 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

actually Enterprise opened up now at the traffic circle walking distance from the train station.

10. Re: Car necessary for accessing all of Newburyport (e.g. ocean)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Newburyport