We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Truro visit in August

Which North Truro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
6 posts
Save Topic
North Truro visit in August

My boyfriend and I are considering a trip up to North Truro in August. Neither of us has ever been to the Cape.

Our biggest issue is transportation - we are considering driving up there from PA (about 7.5 hr drive), but I looked into flights into Provincetown and they're $400+ (out of our range), plus we'd have to the rent a car...

Any suggestions on this? Also any other suggestions on places to visit, things to do, nice beaches, dinning out, bar/night life (we're in our mid 20s).

Another option we thought of was to invite another couple to go with, which would make the drive easier, but we're not sure if we want to take the first trip on our own :-)

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Truro visit in August

Get an early start and pack some tasty snack food and cool tunes. Although 7-8 hours in a car can be tiring, I always loved to have my sweetheart next to me with no interruptions for some great talks. Once you get into RI the time will move along quite well...as long as you are not planning to arrive on a Friday or Saturday night.

You will find plenty to do in Provincetown but, depending on how long you plan to stay, you might want to venture to other towns on the outer cape. Try the Beachcomber in Wellfleet and Land 'Ho, Mahoney's and Joe's in Orleans for some local/tourist bar scenes. If you enjoy long walks on a deserted beach at night with a bon fire to keep you warm, you will not have to go far. BEACHES are what the outer cape from Eastham to Provincetown are all about!

There is tons of stuff posted on this forum about things to do so search around using the key words you want in the search box above. I'm sure other posters can give you some other tips.

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Truro visit in August

We loved the Beachcomber Restaurant. Great atmosphere, lively, with outdoor bar overlooking the ocean.

You may want to wander up to Race Point at sunset. Great dunes. Then have dinner in PTown. Every beach we went to, we loved. Go to the National Seashore for a day. We saw seals at Race Point. I believe you can see them at Chatham Harbor as well.

If you are concerned about the drive, why not stay closer to the "entrance" to the Cape...Sandwich or Hyannis or any of the many towns along the way?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Truro visit in August

If you are that concerned about the drive, why not break it up with an overnight in Providence or some where else along the way?

If you really don't want to do the drive you might find cheaper alternatives if you look at flying into Boston or Providence and then renting a car.

The Beachcomber is great, the National Seashore beaches are fantastic. Lots of eating and drinking can be done in P-town -- and they even have buses from various points in N.Truro to P-town so you if you'd like to party, you don't need to worry about driving.

If you want a beach fire in N.Truro on a town beach you need a permit. Go to the beach office (Rte 6a, next to the post office). They issue a limited number of fire permits for each beach) in the afternoon. I believe they start issuing permits at 4, but people line up earier, especially on weekends. If you want to do a fire at a Naitonal Seashore beach, check w/ the Rangers at the Race Point Visitors center, I think they require a permit issued by them.

Also ... Herring Cove Beach (part of the national seashore) actually faces West, so you can see the sunset over the water (but it's not quite an ocean sunset, because it's setting over land.

Have you decided where to stay in N.Truro? I don't think there's any chains there, but lots of Mom&Pop type places ... some are far from luxurious, but all of the places I've stayed in the area are clean and have location, location, location!!!

NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North Truro visit in August

I was wondering - why aren't there any more upscale places to stay in Truro - similiar to the places in Provincetown? I haven't been to either location, but have read a lot about them.

Just curious. :)

boston, ma
Level Contributor
985 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Truro visit in August

This reply is actually to iluvmydog. I think people who are willing to pay for upscale accommodations would prefer to be closer to the action in Ptown - clubs, bars, restaurants, etc. Another problem for development is that much of Truro depends upon individual wells for water, which is in short supply on the Cape in general. Also, much of Truro is not zoned for commercial uses. If you just want to be on the beach, the upside is that it still possible to get reasonable accommodations directly on the beach along rte. 6A in North Truro. Like Ptown, a majority of the land in Truro is in the National Seashore and can't be developed. The difference is that Ptown is a concentrated dense town, while Truro is much more rural in character.

NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: North Truro visit in August

Thanks for the response - what about actual rentals on the beach? Are they more reasonable too?

Philadelphia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: North Truro visit in August

Thanks for your responses - the comment about there being a bus from N Truro to P-Town made my day! We always fight over who HAS to be DD, not that either of us is a big drinker, but we just like to not have to "watch our limits" :-) Huge relief *sigh

I've definitely been going through some of the blogs here and they've given me some good ideas. I have very long work days though, giving me little time to scan through the posts. I'm still making it tho...

As far as lodging my boyfriend was looking into this place called Sandbars (I think). He has a timeshare thing, so it would probably be cheaper than renting or getting a hotel/motel room for a week. Anyone hear of this place or have any comments? Other suggestions are always welcome and appreciated

thanks again to all!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
985 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Truro visit in August

More iluvmydog. I live in Ptown and don't ever stay in these places but I tried to do some research and the North Truro places seem to me to be somewhat expensive but not so bad as Ptown. It's a different sort accommodation. Look at www.dayscottages.com for an example of one type of place. I don't necessarily recommend them. They are just typical and relatively few of these places have a web presence. The best thing to do would be to get a Mobil or AAA travel guide if you were interested in North Truro. There are also more traditional motels. (For some reason, the wrack line on the beach in the photos seems particularly bad, but it may just be high tide.)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Truro visit in August

Kumbella,

Sandbars is right on 6A and has a decent location. It seems to get lots of business, but I've never stayed there, so can't give you any insite.

Happy Planning!

Iluvmydog --- Days' is one of those places you either love or hate. I happen to love it there. You won't find a 4 room cottage ON the water with a full kitchen and separate bedrooms at that price. Perfect if you have kids. But they are tiny, tiny, tiny ... everything except the beds and linens is 'washable' ... vinyl floors, vinyl curtains, painted wooden furniture. No electronics ... no TV, no radio, no microwave, and a stove top perculator for coffee. You want any of that stuff -- byo ..

A Motel w/ a few more amenities than days to check out would be The Top Mast ... but again, very much a mom-and-pop operation.

NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: North Truro visit in August

Thanks all for the responses, I will look into the suggestions! :)

Get answers to your questions about North Truro