We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I really going to be miserable at the Cape in Early July?

Washington, DC
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Am I really going to be miserable at the Cape in Early July?

I'm about to take a vacation rental for the first week in July. The location is really nice, in North Truro, near both the National Seashore and the bayside beaches in the Lower Cape area.

The question is, are we going to be miserable? Are there going to be evil biting flies everywhere? (In reference to: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g41738-i2105-k1214501-How_to_avoid_biting_flies_on_the_beach-North_Truro_Cape_Cod_Massachusetts.html)

London, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I really going to be miserable at the Cape in Early July?

Hmmm, i'm sure you'll get many posts regarding the "greenheads". I think they hatch at a different time every year(?).

Past few years in Chatham, they seem to be bad towards the end of July/early Aug. Usually, 2 weeks, then they're gone.

Does anyone know if they hatch at different beaches at different times?

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I really going to be miserable at the Cape in Early July?

I don't know for sure whether there will be green flies but I don't think they are a problem in North Truro. In Provincetown, right next door, there is not a green fly problem. I've been to north shore beaches (around Newburyport) when there has been a severe fly problem and even then it depended on time of day and varied from day to day. It's not conducive to a quiet day at the beach but one way of getting rid of them is to keep moving. They never bothered me much when I was walking on the beach, but they descended as soon as I stopped.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
828 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I really going to be miserable at the Cape in Early July?

There is no such thing as miserable in the summer on the Cape! Banish the thought and focus on a delicious Cape Cod lobster roll!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I really going to be miserable at the Cape in Early July?

I haven't used this product but maybe it really works?

http://www.stopbitingme.com/main.html

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I really going to be miserable at the Cape in Early July?

I have never experienced greenheads on the Cape, and certainly not in Truro. Before we bought a house in Newburyport 10 years ago we used to go to some nice little bayside motel in Truro called the Sea Surf Motel (I'm not sure if it's still called that) and horseflies or greenheads were never an issue. You need vast marshlands for greenheads.

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
194 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I really going to be miserable at the Cape in Early July?

You'll be fine. Enjoy the Cape!

Level Contributor
4 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I really going to be miserable at the Cape in Early July?

We have beeb spending time in North Truro for the last 20 years.......in July. Only a couple of times we got bitten by the horseflies. And we were never swarmed upon. Only a few. Best part of the Cape. You're past all the traffic and the vrowds. Hyannis and Dennis and all those places where mass people flock are very stressful areas.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I really going to be miserable at the Cape in Early July?

You're killing me,

Everybody who has cancelled their vacation to the Cape due to claimed:

Hurricanes, power outages, floods, forest fires, seafood shortages, meat boycotts, gas prices, stupid drivers, beer supplier strikes OR FLIES, take one step back.

All present & accounted for, the line looks pretty straight to me. Always will be.

ADM HALSEY

9. Re: Am I really going to be miserable at the Cape in Early July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 16:20
Get answers to your questions about North Truro