We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to dress...?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
How to dress...?

Hi,

I've never been to the Cape Cod area and I will be staying in the North Truro in 2 weeks, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to how people dress. Is it more of a casual, down-to-earth beach community or do people dress fancy for dinner and nights out?

I know its silly, just want to know how to pack!

Thanks

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How to dress...?

When Charlie and I stayed on the Cape back in November (two nts @ Bluefish B & B) we had dinner @ Ocean House then headed over to CBI for cocktails.

We sat by the fire, enjoyed our wine while listening to a wonderful pianist....

Such a nice atmosphere there.

A pretty sundress would suffice ;-)

Naomi :-)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How to dress...?

Pretty sundresses are worn all summer by my group of girls...A sundress and your best flip flops will get you in anywhere up here all summer!

Stamford...
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How to dress...?

MVMo2 & FussyG,

Methinks that newbies gather more info from our personal thoughts & feelings, rather than who, what, where, when, how, why & to what extent.

A tip of the hat to my CT buddies (by the way, it was 99 in Stamford/Greenwich Sunday) for their blazing simplicity:

"Because, this is our family vacation, we don't visit 'fancy' restaurants."

I think the informality of the Island is very probably the [singular] issue most responsible for 35 years of my returns. Way harder in Newport or the Hamptons.

Ladies & gentlemen, the info lane forms on the right, all others keep on driving.

ADM HALSEY

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How to dress...?

Ask & ye shall receive ;-)

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How to dress...?

Hmmm, not quite sure why anyone would ditch my post about dress on the outer cape, perhaps it interrupted their discussion on Chatham. In any event, since you will be on the outer cape in Truro and not in Chatham at CBI, I suggest you pack only very casual tops and pants (tees and cropped pants go everywhere) No one dresses up on the outer cape unless they are in show in Provincetown. If you really want to wear resort-type clothing, you will be more comfortable in Chatham since the outer cape is really more "bohemian" in dress and attitude...you know, those India print cotton skirts and bangles. Keep in mind that there are no sidewalks in Truro and pavement in Provincetown is uneven so cute little heals won't get you too far. Those who mentioned flip flops are right on...either that or sandals,but definitely something with a rubber sole. Dressing in layers with an outer layer of a windbreaker always works as you can put on or take off as needed. The beach can be damp and windy at night so a pair of jeans always comes in handy.

Basically, anything goes on the outer cape since there are so many tourists at this time of year that the locals are outnumbered! If you pack light you can shop when you get there!!! :-)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How to dress...?

The truth is that there is no reason to be so uptight while on the Cape. The Cape is a place to relax, accept and give up the need for control! There's something for everybody here, I hope you have the time to experience some special moments of your own.

Nobody will notice what you're wearing when you're here, so dress comfortably. Also: none of the locals or regulars put anyone into little slots (i.e. bohemian bangles???? ok....) so know that your visit here will be relaxed and marvelous.

Enjoy your trip: The locals and the longtime visitors from all over the States enjoy this beautiful place.

Naomi and ADM: not everyone is as lucky as we, I guess! How come you two don't have "elbow envy"? ;)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How to dress...?

My kids have just suggested we all put on our birkenstocks and go buy some incense. Chatham thing...can't be imitated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: How to dress...?

Well thank you all- Love hearing from the locals, retuning visitors and the like.

Really appreciate all your help and advice and if there's any other bit of "insider" info feel free to send it my way! :-)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How to dress...?

If you are open minded, celebrate a "vive la difference" attitude of the world and are ready for a bit of fun: Head up to Provincetown one evening while you're on the Cape. (so close to Truro!)

Dinner at Cafe Edwige (expensive and highly regarded by everyone on this forum... but you can look for other, less expensive options by searching this forum) and then drinks and a show or a visit to a club would be a lot of fun. Enjoy yourself.

20. Re: How to dress...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about North Truro