We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water temperature

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
218 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
water temperature

If we stay at Top Mast at North Truro (Cape Cod Bay) what will be approximate water temperature in late July/early August?

Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: water temperature

I'd say around 60F. Though it might be a bit warmer bayside.

In any case way too cold for me. I was out there in late August and found it too cold even to wade! But then again I'm from Phoenix and won't even swin until the pool is at 85. :)

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: water temperature

In late July and early August the water temperature should be in the high 60s at least. It is cool to cold for many people but it's not that bad and many people spend a lot time in water. The temperature can vary quite a bit. The warmest water will be in shallow areas after high tide on sunny days. The incoming tide can be colder. The tides in Provincetown and Truro are usually in the range of 9 to 12 feet, depending upon the phase of the moon, so a beach at high tide is significantly different from the same beach at low tide.

Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: water temperature

Once again, the water on the Bay side is much warmer than the ocean side. Can reach up into the 80s when the tide is coming in over the warm sand.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: water temperature

If it's 80 degrees it's not more than a foot deep. Here's the breakdown:

Coldest water = Ocean Side (National Seashore, Welfleet, Nauset Beach etc....)

Slightly Warmer: Bayside....while you may find pockets of warm water on the tidal flats, on average it will not go too much above above 60.

Warmest Cpae water: Nantucket Sound (South Side Beaches) can get to 70 in August.

5. Re: water temperature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 09:22
Get answers to your questions about North Truro
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question