We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Martha's vineyard

chicago
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in Martha's vineyard

I am new at this so hope that somebody out there will see this questions that knows a little something about the area. I am trying to help plan a trip for three couples to go to Martha's vineyard in Sept for a week. I see there are several towns (Oak Bluffs, Vineyard Haven and Edgartown) that all look nice but wondering which one is the best to stay in for active couples who like to walk to stores and restaurants and who also want to do lots of biking. Do not know anything about the towns so if anybody has some insight that would be great. Also, looking to probably book a house for a week and so if you know of a good website to find rentals let me know that also! Thanks SO much for any help.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in Martha's vineyard

Hi, any of the 3 towns would fit your needs - Edgartown is a beautiful old whaling town with tons of shops & restaurants in its center. Oak Bluffs also has a busy center but I would describe it as a little more funky. Vineyard Haven is also a nice town, but I would say there is more to do in E'town & OB. You can rent bikes in any of these 3 towns and visit them all. If you are interested in renting a house, go with a reputable local realtor to ensure that you aren't disappointed. Here is a link to the MV Chamber of Commerce: www.mvy.com/cwt/external/wcpages/index.aspx

If you are going to bring cars over, you need to make ferry reservations ASAP, here is a link for the ferry

http://www.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/

Edited: 21 February 2010, 03:51
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in Martha's vineyard

I agree with Kendrick, but can give you a little more detail. Of those 3 towns, Vineyard Haven is "dry" -- no alcohol. Most of the island is dry, but Edgartown and Oak Bluffs are in the "wet" part. This doesn't just affect your ability to buy alcohol, but I think it affects the choice of restaurants. I think it's pretty true that the restaurant can be more sophisticated if the liquor license helps support the restaurant. Also I think Vineyard Haven doesn't have as many places within walking distance of the downtown (it's a more scattered town than the other two). It's definitely charming, and has great shops, including the biggest bookstore. One reason that I prefer Edgartown is that I can bike down to the huge South Beach, about 3 miles south of the town center. It's a flat bike ride -- or you can use your car to get there. Also I like the way Edgartown looks, and that it is close to Chappaquiddick island. However, Oak Bluffs is the most central of the three towns. It has the charming camp meeting grounds (the gingerbread cottage houses), which is a MUST to visit. I don't think much of the beach in Oak Bluffs, but it is right there. Hope this helps.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
931 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in Martha's vineyard

Kendrick and MaxieLu gave a great amount of advice that I agree with and hope I can elaborate on.

Renting a house in either Oak Bluffs or Edgartown will offer more evening choices for walking to shopping and restaurants. Being able to buy a drink at a restaurant is nice, but some like the idea of byob with a $7 corkage fee rather than restaurant mark-up, which is what you would get in Vineyard Haven.

Edgartown is a historic New England whaling town and maintains it's conservative atmosphere with white houses with black shutters and white picket fences. Oak Bluffs started as a fun summer resort town and is still that way, with colorful gingerbread/victorian style architecture and people who are just as colorful. Think Key West, as far as fun, liveliness and drinking, but also plenty of family activities.

As mentioned by MaxieLu, the beaches in Oak Bluffs and South Beach, closest to Edgartown are very different. Oak Bluffs is on the Sound, which makes it calm and relaxing. South Beach is on the Atlantic, often good for waves and is much larger. There are many more beaches than these two, but you can look into that.

If you choose to rent in Oak Bluffs, I suggest Ocean Park Rentals with Lisa as your agent http://www.oceanparkrentals.com/ Properties #20 or #42 are nice. 42 being right in town, on the park with a waterview. 20 is a short walk out of town, on a quiet park and a distant waterview. Your agent can suggest more and help you get exactly what you want.

If you choose to rent in Edgartown, I suggest Sandpiper Realty with Courtney as your agent at http://www.sandpiperrealty.com/ Properties #7 and #17 are nice. Again, your agent can suggest more and help you get exactly what you want.

Biking around the island is fun. Here's a shorten link to the MV Chamber of Commerce biking info complete with downloadable map http://bit.ly/dCCc6b

Branford, CT
Level Contributor
38 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in Martha's vineyard

Edagrtown.........hands down!

5. Re: where to stay in Martha's vineyard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Oak Bluffs