We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around the island by car?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around the island by car?

I plan on renting a car for the day out of Oak Bluffs. I am looking for a recommended route around the island that would include getting out to Aquinnah. Some questions I have. Does a circular route make sense going through Vineyard Haven on the way out and Edgartown on the way back or is that pushing it? It seems like about 20 miles one way out, so I am guessing about 40 minutes each way without stopping. Would love to know any great places to stop including places to picnic or grab a local treat, great views, historical sites, that sort of thing. Definitely want to do this at a leisurely pace with the ability to stop for a longer time somewhere if I am enjoying it. Probably leave around 10AM and return around 4-5PM.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
919 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around the island by car?

What day are you planning to do your tour? In May on a weekday or August weekend...?

Baltimore
Level Contributor
19 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around the island by car?

Good point about when, off season it makes a lot of sense, in the middle of summer getting from OB to Edgartown is a pain if you travel the shore route. That said, you should go see both towns, they have such a different vibe! Also, you should stop in Menemsha, there is the BEST little shack that sells friend clams right outside of town (can't remember name) and on the way back check out Chilmark and West Tisbury.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around the island by car?

Agree with the Menemsha suggestion. You need to study the map carefully as Menemsha is not really on the road that leads directly to Aquinnah. But it's quite easy to get there. It is very charming. It has several casual seafood shacks. They had a huge fire there about 3 years ago, but have rebuilt the wharf.

Another stop you might consider is Alley's General Store in the little town of West Tisbury. Also, there are beautiful walking paths all over the island, you can check these out ahead of time. There are a few farms (some in Chilmark) that have little shops, that are very fun to visit.

If you keep your eye on the clock you can definitely tour the whole island including Edgartown. You just won't have unlimited time in every location. Keep in mind there will be some thick traffic, particularly entering and leaving Edgartown. But it's well worth a visit!!!! I would allow at least 2 hours in Edgartown. That way you could walk on Water Street, see the harbor and the lighthouse and some of the old historic homes, and you could also take the little ferry to Chappaquiddick (the "On Time" ferry). Leave your car and take the ferry on foot, to save lots of time.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around the island by car?

Then what could they do next once they arrive on Chappaquiddick on foot?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around the island by car?

There are Trustees of the Reservations tours - they pick you up at the ferry dock.

thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/cape-cod-isl…

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around the island by car?

One reason I suggest a quick trip to Chappy is really because the ferry ride is so fun and you get a view back to Edgartown. On foot or on a bike, you can come back any time without waiting in line, so the whole thing could take you 15 minutes. Of course, you can also start walking up the side of the road on Chappy too. Plus there is a tiny beach there, near where you wait to catch the ferry back to town.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around the island by car?

I've looked at this site before and now as well but I just don't see anything about a tour that starts at the arriving ferry. Do you recall the path or the tab where you found that Kendrick? Thx.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around the island by car?

MaxieLou, When we contemplated taking the On Time ferry we each had a moped which would have been great for exploring Chappy but the vehicle line was so long to take the ferry that we skipped it. Was I correct in thinking that mopeds would not have the priority that passengers only (even with bikes) would have over cars and mopeds?

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
919 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around the island by car?

I don't believe that mopeds would be treated like bikes. They simply cannot fit beside the cars, like the bikes do and they will take car space.

As for taking the ferry and walking down the road over on Chappy - I wouldn't do it. It's not scenic, you're on the road where cars will drive by you, nothing is within close walking distance... If you want to explore parts of Chappy scheduling a tour through the Trustees of Reservations, as mentioned in a previous post, is highly recommended. Visit the Cape Poge page on the Trustees of Reservations website.

If you have a car, and bring it on the ferry, there are many places to check out; Wasque (or what's left of it), Mytoi gardens, Dyke bridge, North Neck and Fodors lists Three Ponds Preserve, which I'm not familiar with, but sounds nice. fodors.com/world/…1110662.html

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around the island by car?

When you book a tour with the Trustees they tell you they come down to the dock to pick you up. It is quite easy.

Get answers to your questions about Oak Bluffs