We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about this beautiful area

Which Oak Bluffs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions about this beautiful area

In August 2013 we will be in this area for 4 days. Is there enough to see or is 4 days too long for this area? Also we will fly into Providence and take the fast ferry? Over and will not have a car. How do we get from ferry to hotel with luggage in this area OR do we need a car? I'm also having a very hard time finding a place to stay (2 of us) close to the ferry area in case we have to walk and drag luggage. Any tips or recommendations of lodging and things to do. I've read many posts but some are old...so I would like a new update on the area. We're from Texas and its 105 at least during August so we're hoping for cooler weather in the Martha Vineyard area. We do love Maine but wanted to try something new.

Thank you for your time.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
888 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about this beautiful area

First, it will definitely be cooler than 105 on the island. Maine is beautiful, and so is Martha's Vineyard. Obviously, just different. There are always taxis waiting to pick up ferry passengers and transport them to their lodging. This means you will not have to stay near the ferry. Have you looked at the different towns? Have an opinion on which one you want to stay in? If not, start by reading the Top Questions listed in the upper right of the forum page. You'll find plenty to keep yourself busy for four days. You'll enjoy the pace and be able to find time to relax. What dates are you planning to stay on the island? Need activity suggestions? Tell us what you enjoy and we will help, if needed.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about this beautiful area

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure what dates..every time I try to book via the internet all the lodging says it's booked and check other dates which in turn are booked also. We wanted to stay Aug. 7th - 11th but nothing so far and I can't book airfare until I can find a place to stay. I've been to Edgartown about 15 years ago but didn't stay more than one night so I truly can't remember much about where everything is located and how far from each.

One thing we did find is when New Englanders say it's walking distance that means MILES...in Texas it's too hot to walk far so when we say it's within walking distance we mean a block or two. *S*

We want great seafood, a cooler climate to enjoy the scenery, visit shops and relax.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about this beautiful area

For a place to stay, I would suggest calling directly, you may get more up to the minute info on reservations. This site lists last minute openings:

http://mv-lastminutelodging.com

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about this beautiful area

Thanks so much! This link is perfect!

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
888 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about this beautiful area

Does the last minute lodging info help you? I thought you were looking to reserve a room now for August. If you want to reserve now, I see that the Harborside has one room available for those dates. These places do not have an on-line calendar, but if you have not called them, do; Victorian Inn and the Edgartown Inn.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about this beautiful area

I do want to book for those dates but if I can't then we will take last minute on the day we fly in if we can. I will check out the ones you found.

Thank you so much for your help

7. Re: Questions about this beautiful area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Oak Bluffs
Recent Conversations