We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crystal lake orleans

Which Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
crystal lake orleans

looking for a rental cabin/cottage in september. seen one on crystal lake orleans. does anyone know anything about crystal lake.how close is it to the towns amenities etc?

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: crystal lake orleans

Ah, a duplex...that explains the difference in the interiors! We have lived and worked (if you can call welcoming guests to our ocean-view Cottage and B+B in the National Seashore work, LOL) on Cape Cod for over 20 years and September is our favorite time of year! The days are getting shorter but are still long enough to warm the air and there is a peaceful feeling with many of the families who vacation here gone back to their usual school routines. As Senior65 mentioned, there is an increased probability for coastal storms but we have not had a hurricane since 1991.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: crystal lake orleans

I believe Hurricane Earl in September 2010 was still officially a hurricane when it passed close to the Cape. Although, in fact, the Cape only experienced a very stormy night although we had all battened down expecting the worst!!

We also lived through Bob in 1991. Most of the damage around us seemed to be uprooted trees, but we lost power for at least three days and because we were on well water in Eastham we had no water either. Our friends who were staying in Orleans had gas for cooking and were on town water so were much better off than we were.

No need to worry buddybhoy, I hope that I didn't alarm you, didn't mean to. We will be on the Cape as usual in September, God willing.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: crystal lake orleans

Senior, Earl was a hurricane but it was a near miss for the cape, like most hurricanes have been over the years. Still, we always take them seriously, which, when you run an inn that faces directly to the Atlantic Ocean, is the only wise way to react, IMO. That means taking down the screen gazebo, all outdoor furniture and potted plants and securing anything that might blow around. For us it also means having running water available (using a portable source) for our guests, just in case we loose power. But as I mentioned, we have never actually had guests during a hurricane. And we hope the cool Atlantic waters that surround the Cape continue to lend us a modicum of protection from the worst of the storms.

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
458 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: crystal lake orleans

For 11 of the past 15 years we've vacationed on Cape Cod, we have stayed in Orleans or Eastham in early September and have enjoyed very good weather for the majority of our time spent there, usually 9 or 10 days, starting right around Labor Day. Most years, we've either arrived right after a hurricane had been nearby or one was threatening to come up the coast toward the Cape. We would frequently watch the latest reports from the Weather channel in our motel room and if a few of the days in the latter part of the 5 day forecast looked stormy, we'd make a mad dash the first few days of our vacation to get to all our favorite hikes, beaches, and outdoor activities-- just in case-- and would frequently discover that the storm went another direction and we were spared, thankfully, and enjoyed lovely weather more often than not! So then we'd repeat some of our hikes and beach walks in a more leisurely manner once the hurricane possibility had passed.

We've considered staying elsewhere on the Cape-- we love the Chatham area-- and also Wellfleet is wonderful. But we always end up coming back to the south part of Eastham or Orleans to stay because of the great location and ease of traveling west to Brewster and beyond, north to Wellfleet, Truro, Provincetown, and south to Chatham, as well as the close proximity to the National Seashore and bay beaches (we love Skaket, Rock Harbor, and First Encounter) and one of our favorite places on earth, beautiful Fort Hill.

Edited: 07 January 2011, 20:16
Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: crystal lake orleans

Lorna, I couldn't have said it better myself!!! :-) Drop in the next time you take a walk on Fort Hill and say hello. Just so you can get your Fort Hill "fix" I am sending you a PM with a little video link. Hope you like it!

Edited: 07 January 2011, 21:02
Bucks County...
Level Contributor
458 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: crystal lake orleans

Thanks, Yellowbird! If we're fortunate enough to get to the Cape this year-- and we're tentatively planning on our Labor Day week visit-- I'll stop in and say hello. I'd love to meet you and I've admired your lovely home from afar for as long as we've been coming to Fort Hill. We often hike the two trails at Fort Hill twice/day, we love it so much!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: crystal lake orleans

Great Lorna, we would love to meet you too!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: crystal lake orleans

just a wee bit alarmed senior. still, it would be an experience. tbh 1500 is the most i want to shell out, cheaper would be preferable and i really like the idea of being beside a lake. maybe we will bump into each other, if you see a 5ft short scotsman then that will be me.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: crystal lake orleans

Didn't mean to put you off, September is a beautiful month on the whole. Enjoy your stay, if I can be of any further help, let me know. We'll be interested to read a report of your visit later in the year. If you bump into a short Welsh/Canadian lady that may be me!!! Probably on Skaket Beach reading my book or paddling in the pools when the tide goes out.

20. Re: crystal lake orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2011, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Orleans