We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which living museum best?

Alabama
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Which living museum best?

Has anyone been to Plymouth Plantation , Old Sturbridge Village or Olde Mystic Village and could say which one is best? One living museum is enough for us and we will be traveling the New England States the first of October and could do either of them.

Thanks, Cindy

Hanover...
Level Contributor
27 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which living museum best?

I have been to all three museums, and would vote for Plimouth Plantation if you are picking just one. If you have a penchant for sea-faring life, Mystic is great. Sturbridge portrays early 1800's and is also excellent. But, Plimouth's guides "act" their parts - as if you are truly in 1627 New England. They really do a great job of bringing the era to life. The Wampanoag homesite was my children's favorite. There are a couple of good films in the visitor's center and the barn allows for some hands-on exploration. And, of course, the 1627 "town" is an outstanding series of house and commons replicas. Don't miss the walk around the grounds, too - very pretty vistas.

There's also a combination ticket that allows admission to the Mayflower replica ship for only a few dollars more - it's a better deal than buying both tickets separately and it helps round out the visit. If you have the time, and especially if you have younger children, I suggest the Plantation one day and the Mayflower/Rock/downtown Plymouth for another. It's a bit much for young ones to do it all in one day.

2. Re: Which living museum best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 19:16