We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport

scotland
Level Contributor
56 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
public transport

we are travelling from uk to mass. would like to stay in plymouth, but is it possible to visit rockport salem etc without car.or can anyone suggest a biggish town to stay not boston tnakyou

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport

Is there a reason you're adverse to staying in Boston? Reason is that Boston is the "hub" of the transportation network, so that public busses or trains eminate from there to Plymouth, Rockport, Salem, etc. Otherwise, you would have to go through Boston anyway. Especially without a car, I would think Boston would be your best bet. The city is very manageable and is a great walking town.

AlanM

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport

Plymouth and Rockport are both about an hour out of Boston, in opposite directions. (www.mapquest.com)

I agree that the ideal place to stay would be Boston, especially without a car. There are Commuter Rail trains to both Plymouth and Rockport/Salem (www.mbta.com) from Boston, but in Plymouth, you'd really need a car to get around.

I think the absolute *best* place to stay would be Boston itself and then if you wanted to rent a car for the day to visit Plymouth---or Wrentham, where lots of people are going to shop, you could do that. Boston proper has LOTS Of nice hotels convenient to the sights.

Not sure why you'd want to avoid Boston.... Plymouth is nice but after a day or two, I think you'd be bored...

scotland
Level Contributor
56 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport

thankyou for your reponses reason we do not want boston been there and weare staying in New York area for a week would you say would get bored with rockport???

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport

"thankyou for your reponses reason we do not want boston been there and weare staying in New York area for a week would you say would get bored with rockport???"

Without punctuation, it's a little tough to follow you. Can you afford a few periods and commas, please? I THINK you might be asking if a week in Rockport is a bit too much, but it's really not clear. If it IS what you're asking, then YES.

Can you repunctuate your request and we can better help you.

AlanM

Hanson...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport

Hello Tait!

I'll do my best to answer your question.

When are you visiting? If it's an "in season" visit I can't imagine you'd find Plymouth boring. There's plenty to do here and you can spend days doing it all. If you're visiting in the winter months there's not so much to do in Plymouth, and Boston would perhaps be a better bet.

Yes, you can get from Plymouth to Boston, Salem and Rockport via public transportation. The MBTA Commuter Rail (www.mbta.com) goes from Plymouth to South Station in Boston and the Commuter Rail goes from North Station in Boston Boston to Salem and Rockport. There is subway service in Boston that can connect you from South Station to North Station. No, it's not direct from Plymouth to Salem and Rockport, but it certainly can be done.

If you decide to stay in Boston as opposed to Plymouth or another outlying community, you can generally expect to pay more for lodging, so keep that in mind as well.

I hope that helps to answer you question. I'm sure your vacation will be fun!

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public transport

Based on your subsequent posting, it sounds like you are staying a while. I think you need to rent a car. Rockport and Plymouth are too far apart, and the public transportation would be too much of a hassle.

As far as getting bored for a week's stay, it all depends. If you come now, yes. Boring.

If you come in summer, maybe not. Depends what you like to do. Both towns have waterfront, shopping, dining, history, museums, cycling, walking, boating, etc.

Enjoy!

7. Re: public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 12:19