We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better with a 7yo?

Which Plymouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better with a 7yo?

My 7yo DD and I will be visiting Cape Cod and Boston this summer. I am planning for us to stop in Plymouth on our way from Cape Cod up to Boston. We'll have about 4 or 5 hours in Plymouth.

There are excellent reviews of the Discover Plymouth Walking Tour and Jenney Grist Mill tour, and good, but not quite as good, reviews for Plimouth Plantation. We don't have enough time to do both the walking tour and the Plimouth Plantation. Which would be better for a 7 year old?

I

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better with a 7yo?

Plimoth Plantation, hands down. More to see, the people "living" on the Plantation don't break character and the whole thing is much more interactive.

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better with a 7yo?

Hi,

The walking tour would be a better choice. The Jenney is more fun for a 7 y/o. The Plantation can get hot in the summer and really is not too exciting for a young child.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better with a 7yo?

Are the reviews from people who had kids along with them?

I would think the Plantation, with people (settlers and natives) "from the time period" going about their daily lives (and intereacting with visitors as if they were living in the 1600s) would capture the imagination of a 7 year old in a way that a walking tour could never do.

I think it's a good idea to do some prep with kids of any age, but even a child of 7 should have had some exposure to the period's history in school at Thanksgiving.

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better with a 7yo?

@tcantarelli,

I have kids that have gone to the Plantation on field trips from school. Overall , it is educational and I think there is a reason they do this field trip with the 5th and 6th graders.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better with a 7yo?

I agree with the recommendations of Plimouth Plantation. It not only includes the Pilgrims settlement in 1627 but also the Wampanoag settlement.

It's done very well and the people are good with children. To get the most out of it, you can talk a bit to your daughter about what she'll see. Encourage her to ask questions.

See the PP's page on family visits: plimoth.org/plan-your-visit/…parents-guide

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better with a 7yo?

LOL! That clears that up! I was hoping there was going to be complete agreement so I could stop waffling on this.

Some of the glowing reviews I've read on the Discover Plymouth walking tour do mention younger children enjoying it. For my DD, I'm leaning towards the Plantation because it is more interactive as Diva21 pointed out. I'm planning on us doing the Freedom Trail Foundation's walking tour a couple days later and I don't want to wear her out on "walking tours". :-)

I am prepping her for the trip by reading kids' books on colonial times and the Revolutionary War, and she has learned (a little) about pilgrims at school. In fact, it was the partial day I was planning in Plymouth that changed her mind about the trip. When I first started talking about the trip, she was less than enthused, remarking that she'd rather go back to Disney World. But after I started talking about Plymouth and getting to see a replica of the Mayflower, she perked up and got excited because she could relate it to something she'd already learned about in school.

ETA: My DD needs no encouragement to ask questions. She's an extrovert that will engage just about anyone in a conversation.

Edited: 31 May 2011, 19:28
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better with a 7yo?

Check this out:

…nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/books/ki…

There are probably some other worthwhile ones out there too.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,097 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better with a 7yo?

Hey all, we went to visit the Mayflower in downtown Plymouth years ago and that was really terrific with the period actors. I'm sure that we just paid for that admission only. Is this different now and only included into the full Plimouth Plantation admission? If not, depending on how much time you want to spend then you might simply have lunch on the harbor, visit the Mayflower and go see Plymouth rock. That should keep you moving.

www.plimoth.org/what-see-do/mayflower-ii

Also note that there is a section with a parent's guide.

Tips for Visitors -> Parents Guide

Edited: 01 June 2011, 04:32
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is better with a 7yo?

Plimouth Plantation. My 8 year old loved talking to the costumed guides and exploring the various houses. CCC, you can buy either a separate ticket for the Mayflower or a combo ticket for both the Mayflower and PP.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is better with a 7yo?

Thanks for all your input! I've decided that we will tour the Mayflower II, then head over to Plimouth Plantation for a few hours.

BooKat already answered CCC's question about the tickets. Yes, I could buy them separate or as a combo. I'm planning on ordering the Go Boston cards ahead of time and I can use that for the combo ticket. It would have also covered the Discover Plymouth tour and the Jenney Grist Mill tour if I'd decided to go that route.

Get answers to your questions about Plymouth