We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod from Plymouth

NY
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod from Plymouth

Hi, I will be in Plymouth, and would like to make a short trip of Cape Cod... How long of a drive am I looking at in the summer?I've heard traffic is very bad. Thanks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod from Plymouth

From Plymouth, take rt 3A and it should be about 15 minutes and much more scenic. Without more detail, can't be more specific about Rt 3 and even with more detail is just a wild shot in the dark.

NY
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod from Plymouth

I'm sorry, I left out the most important part.... I want to go to Provincetown. I'd like to drive the entire cape, stopping at different places along the way. Is it possible in a day, or do I need 2? Thanks, sorry.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod from Plymouth

You can do it in a day. Rt 3A goes through all the little towns, so if you are looking for speed I would use Rt 3. Bad traffic depends on when you go, Friday night and Saturday mornings will be bad. Plan to leave very early in the morning if you want to do Sat, but the traffic will be bad all over the cape on Saturdays. Mid week should be fine pretty much any time.

NY
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod from Plymouth

Thank you so much

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod from Plymouth

if you look at how the cape is shaped, it is unlikely you can drive the "entire Cape". I am guessing you intend to skip Mashpee, Falmouth and Woods Hole. The cape from bridge to Ptown is about 60 miles. You can get onto 6A over the bridge which is the most scenic way (and much longer than taking rt 6. Hard to give you more places to see unless you just want to drive by.

You could take 6a to rt 137 and then head back "south" on 28 which will be north on your compass towards ptown

NY
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod from Plymouth

Thank you again

Boston area
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod from Plymouth

It's about 75 miles from Plymouth. If you go during the week it shouldn't be too bad. If you take Rte. 3 (3A isn't very scenic) over the bridge to Rte.6 that's the direct route. If you want to take the scenic route 6A, it passes through all the small, quaint towns. Have a great time.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod from Plymouth

I disagree that 3A isn't scenic and believe it can save time if you are in Plymouth already over taking rt 3 during heavy traffic times.

Not saying it is like Big Sur, just nicer than the hiway.

NY
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Cod from Plymouth

thank you again everyone...

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Cod from Plymouth

neslaw just to clarify your post for the person asking, sorry but you were not correct with the roads/highway info:

3A runs from downtown Plymouth through "villages" of Plymouth ie; Manomet, Cedarville and Ellisville and you end up at the Sagamore. From the Sagamore you are on Route 6 which is a major 2 lane highway that goes into one lane, traffic can be heavy. What I think you meant is to take 6A when you go over the Sagamore and travel the towns of Sandwich, Dennis, etc...all the way down through the mid-lower cape towns.

My advice is to spend the day driving through the cape, stopping along the way, try to stay in P-town then on your way back hit some towns on the other side ie; Chatham, Yarmouth, etc...

Hyannis - skip unless you like to shop at chain stores.

Falmouth/Woods Hole - BEAUTIFUL but out of your way.

Hope this helps....as for beaches along the way, Chatham is beautiful and when you get to the lower cape ie; Wellfleet (Nat'l Sea Shore) you will want to get out and stop.

Enjoy. Also another option for a quick way to get to P-town is the Plymouth - P-Town ferry and then instead of driving it you could visit one day then drive upper - mid cape on other day.

And finally YES prepare for some insane traffic!