We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
121 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
whale watching

I posted this first on the Mass. forum and received one response. Does anyone have first hand experience with whale tours? Dolphin tours looks good on their web site and someone recommended Capt. Bill's in Gloucester and someone else recommended 7 Seas. Anyone here have any recommendations?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Ellie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching

I've always been impressed with Dolphin Fleet out of Provincetown, but I'm going to try Hyannis Whale Watcher Cruises this summer. It too has naturalists on board and supports the International Fund for Animal Welfare, plus the boat is smaller than those of the Dolphin Fleet which I think could be a fun change:

http://www.whales.net/

I recently read (but can't now remember where) that this is promising to be an excellent whalewatching season :-)

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching

Thanks for the response and link. I went to the web site and it does look nice, but saw that it carries 392 passengers...that seems like a lot, I don't know why, I just assumed most boats would carry only about a 100 or so. (My only whale tour was in alaska and we had 6 people plus 2 crew!)

I was also glad to hear you liked the Dolphin tour, so far that is at the top of the list, but we are still looking.

Ellie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching

Hmm, I don't now remember where I thought I read the Hyannis boat was smaller than those of the Dolphin fleet. I will say, Ellie, I don't know of any Massachusetts outfit -- either on the North Shore or south of Boston/Cape Cod -- which offers anywhere close to as an intimate experience as what you had in Alaska.

Perhaps that's because they all have to steam out aways to a feeding bank area and it's simply not cost-effective for them to carry few passengers? Or maybe because Federal regulations governing the distance to be maintained among boats/among whales make it impractical for there to be many smaller boats? Then too a larger boat may reduce the amount of sea sickness experienced by those on board?

Here's a list of all the licensed whale watch companies in Massachusetts; perhaps you'll find one here with a boat which carries fewer than 100 passengers:

stellwagen.noaa.gov/wildlife/wwcompanies.html

Hanson...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: whale watching

I went on a Capt. John Boats whale watch out of Plymouth and had a great time! It was my first whale watch. The Naturalist was very informative and kept us looking in the right places when the whales surfaced and put on their show.

I'm not positive, but I think the largest Capt. John whale watch boat holds around 250 people. The rest of the boats are smaller than that.

It was a comfortable trip and I took plenty of pictures!

5. Re: whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 02:16