We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport/Taxis around Plymouth.

Which Plymouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport/Taxis around Plymouth.

Hi, we're visiting Boston in late November and want to see Plimoth Plantation and the Mayflower II before they close for the winter.

Our two choices for transport are to either get the train from Boston to Plymouth and then get a taxi to Plimoth Plantation and back again or hire a car for the day from Boston and drive it.

Taking public transport is the preferred option as I can't be bothered with picking a car up and then dropping it off!

Are taxis freely available in Plymouth? I've looked at the bus service but it runs every two hours!!!!

Regards,

Gavin

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport/Taxis around Plymouth.

HI, GAVIN:

As you may already know, the Plymouth Rock Trolley is a hop-on/hop-off shuttle service around town, but it doesn't go all the way out to Plimouth Plantation

plymouthrocktrolley.com/Pages/2006tour.htm

Although I've not taken the train from Boston to Plymouth, my experience has been (in, e.g., Salem) that there are taxis waiting at the commuter rail stations.

Here's a local transportation page from the local tourism board's web site; until I saw this, I didn't know you can rent motor scooters in Plymouth from Retro-A-GoGo to toodle around town -- that could be a fun way to get out to the Plantation, even tho' not authentic for the period :-)

www.visit-plymouth.com/transportation.htm

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport/Taxis around Plymouth.

Thanks for the tips!

Hanson...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport/Taxis around Plymouth.

Hello Gavin:

Taking the Commuter Rail from Boston to Plymouth is a convenient way to travel, but I forewarn you.....arrange for transport from the train station to the center of town or to the Plantation before you arrive. I have seen way too many people left stranded at the train station only to have to hike the three miles to the Downtown. Check that webpage already mentioned for some tranport info. If you're coming in on a Sunday you might have a hard time getting a cab to pick you up. Plan ahead!

Late November can be a funny time in Plymouth. The Plantation closes for the season on November 26th this year, so plan accordingly for that as well. The Trolley may or may not be running by late November as well. The date you visit can have a big impact on what you will find open or not in late November.

If you need any more info try this page and click on the "Request information by E-Mail" link:

http://www.visit-plymouth.com/order.asp

Good luck!

portland maine
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport/Taxis around Plymouth.

We just returned from Plymouth. We drove down from Maine and had to deal with the Boston traffic. Our son, however, too the "T" from Boston without a hitch. The cost was only $8 dollars each way. The travel time was approx. one hour.

The stop in Plymouth is near the main area of tourism - but you would still need to take other transportation (taxi, public bus, trolley) to get to the attractions or hotels.

So for those considering a trip from Boston, the train is a great way to go.

5. Re: Public Transport/Taxis around Plymouth.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Plymouth