We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival Week

Which Provincetown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Weehawken, NJ
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival Week

I have been up to P-Town for Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend, also in August.

My partner and I are thinking about heading up for Carnival Week. It looks like a Ton of Fun. I'm sure the place is going to be out of control, but hopefully in a good way.

Anyone have some feedback on Carnival Week in P-Town?

I'm really looking foward to it.

Joey

boston, ma
Level Contributor
989 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival Week

Carnival week is great fun and I'm sure you'll have a blast. For many years, I wasn't there for Carnival because we always rented our place that week ($2500/week is hard to turn down). For various reasons, we no longer rent and I always enjoy being there for Carnival. But, this is one of the highlights of the season so my main piece of advice is to make your plans as early as possible if you are looking for accommodations. My only complaint about Carnival is the increasing commercialization. Many guest houses used to have open houses and parties during the week that were free or had a small cover. Bars and clubs would have special parties or theme nights you could go to, again with just the regular cover charge, if any, or a slight increase. Much of this still goes on, but to get into more and more events you have to buy some sort of special, and very pricey, "VIP pass". Not being a bar and party type, I think it's a ripoff. But there is still so much to see and do that I can't really get too worked up about it. If that is your scene, you'll have an exciting, if expensive, week. If not, you'll still have a wonderful and just slightly less expensive time.

The big event of the week for tourists and locals is the Carnival parade. Many people not in the parade get dressed up for the occasion anyway. If you're the Mardi Gras type, you can wander the streets in your flashiest costume. If you're the exhibitionist type, you can show off in next to nothing (sorry, no outright nudity). Although many people do these things, it doesn't seem like a huge number because of the thousands of tourists. Despite what I just wrote, I have to say that the scene is not as wild as what you would see at a Gay Pride parade in NY or SF for instance. The whole thing still has a small town feel to it. There are a number of other fun events such as "drag bingo" at the UU (Unitarian Universalist Church). Everyone stands out front to see what the participants will be wearing. Of course, you could get dressed up and participate too. By the way, if you have never been inside the UU, visit sometime. The trompe l'oeil interior is remarkable. Despite what it looks like, there are no pilasters or alcoves in the building, just flat walls.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival Week

Carnival Week is basically celebrating the ending of summer season in P-Town. It is a GREAT way to end the summer! I have gone to some of them and have had much fun but it can get very crowded, the prices $ are very high in hotel rooms, bars, shows and even on restaurants. YES...you can have a great time but you need enough of $ to make it happen! unless you download some of your activities.

Weehawken, NJ
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival Week

Thanks for the info.

I actually decided to book my trip for that Friday of Carnival. That way I could avoid the 7 - 11 day minimum stay. And after seeing the Pride Parade in NYC for years, I'm not completely upset missing the P-Town parade.

At least the Carnival spirit will still be in the air that weekend.

Hope there are some great entertainment booked for then.

Who else is going to Carnival '07?

Boston MA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival Week

we go every year! It's a blast, the parade is really the highlight, we stay at hotel Monday through Friday-no 7 to 11 day minimum, never haerd of that. I think you should try to see the parade

this year's theme is FAIRY TALES

Weehawken, NJ
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival Week

Thanks again for the replies.

I wouldn't say Carnival is the end of summer celebration. I've been up there for Memorial Day. I would say that's the end of summer, LOL.

Luckily, I'm not the circuit party type, so no desire to be a "VIP" for any of the events. Money isn't an issue - just not into the "party" scene. But as stated, there is so much more to P-Town itself, that draws me there every year. Although I won't make the parade, It'll still be a great time and in the spirit of Carnival.

My favorite thing to do is take a boat out from Commercial over to the tip. So beautiful! Bike riding, blading, walking the jetty - very fun and relaxing.

Only 2 months away. I am so ready to dirve up right now, LOL.

XO

Live_From_Ptown
Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival Week

Just an FYI for anyone in town for Carnival Week. Judy Tenuta is going to be the performer for the Saturday night (Aug 18th) concert in town hall.

Weehawken, NJ
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival Week

AWESOME, thanks for sharing.

I love Judy. Never got to see her live.

XO

8. Re: Carnival Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 14:18