We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

New York City
3 posts
Save Topic
Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

My and girlfriend I are going to Provincetown for the first time on Friday, June 29th and returning on Sunday, July 1st. We live in the city but will be leaving from Greenwich, CT on Friday around noon or 1 pm. What is the best way to get to Ptown? One way car rental to ferry? Driving (if so, how long can we expect it to take)? Sunday, we will be returning in the early evening to New York. Will the traffic be lighter because we aren't staying through the holiday? Would one route be ideal on the trip there and another more ideal on the way back?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Alexia

Orlando
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

You have a few options.....

You dont really need a car in ptown... so if you can get to Boston.. you can fly on cape air www.flycapeair.com or the ferry www.boston-ptown.com we did one one way the other the other....

The flight is 20 min from boston... the ferry is 90 minutes...

Be sure to take in a dune tour when you are there... arts dune tours...

We are food people... eat at the Bistro At Crowne Pointe and Front Street...

Enjoy!

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

If you can you should leave at the crack of dawn on Friday and aim to get through New Haven before the am rush - that times out so you'll miss most of the traffic people get snagged in and, with a little luck, it should take about 5 hours.

I would think Sunday traffic back would be a lot lighter - but I'd still expect to be slowed down by it, off and on, all the way back home (less so the earlier or later you leave).

I'm sorry I don't know much about the ferry - except that I've never heard anyone from NYC refer to it as a time saver.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
156 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

When going on vacations that does not require planes, buses or trains I always rent a car. It makes it easier and more convinient. It gives you flexibility. You can leave P-Town whenever you want to and don't have to worry about schedules. YES...it can be a pain if you get stuck in traffic, but with good company and music it will be okay. From Greenwich to Hartford it is an hour drive and from Hartford to P-Town 4 hrs a total of 5. If you can...I would suggest leaving earlier than noon since by the time you hit Mass Turnpike you will hit the weekend traffic. You might hit some traffic on Sunday leaving the Cape no matter at what time since it is when everyone leaves the Cape (Friday-Sunday) are the days when everyone tends to leave. And I bet renting a car will be cheaper than flying, taking buses or ferrys. Have a GREAT time! ;)

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

I wanted to clarify my advice – a round trip drive is really the quickest way to get there and back. Renting a car, with the intent of leaving it in P-Town and taking the bus or ferry back, sounds like a hassle and I’d worry it would cost you time rather then saving it.

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

I wanted to clarify my advice – a round trip drive is really the quickest way to get there and back. Renting a car, with the intent of leaving it in P-Town and taking the bus or ferry back, sounds like a hassle and I’d worry it would cost you time rather then saving it.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
156 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

When I suggested renting the car...I meant for the whole trip. NOT leaving it in P-Town. I personally find it easier. That way I do not have to worry about schedules and can enjoy my stay. If I decide to leave earlier or late then I can do so. Just get in the car and leave. Besides...there are no car rentals in P-Town and that is why I suggested to rent the car for the whole trip. :)

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

Check out boston.com---CapeAir is cancelling flights...problems with the planes...

Live_From_Ptown
Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

According to the Ptown Chamber of Commerce Cape Air is back up and running on schedule Boston to Ptown.

New York City
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

Thanks for all the responses.

Unfortunately, I have a meeting Friday morning and thus can't leave at the crack of dawn, however much I'd like to...I suppose the traffic can just be part of the adventure, though!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
307 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecticut/New York to Provincetown June 29th-July 1st

On those dates you could easily find getting to Ptown pretty challenging. It is the busiest week of the summer for traveling and it`s only 3 weeks away. If you`re considering Cape Air or the fast ferry (baystatecruisecompany.com), reservations (especially for Friday) could already be booked up. The last fast ferry out of Boston is at 5:30pm so you should plan accordingly and allow for delays getting there. Also if it`s windy and there are rough seas they cancel the ferry and offer bus service (3 hour trip). FYI there are no refunds for pre-purchased tickets, due to weather, etc. I found this out the hard way a couple days ago. You could take Amtrak from Greenwich into Boston`s South Station then back to New York. The Silver Line offers service to the ferry from South Station. It`s also a quick cab ride.

If driving, the most direct route is to take I-95 east to Providence, RI where you`ll take I-195 east which becomes route #25 to The Cape. It`s a shame that you won`t have more time to enjoy Provincetown.