We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to boston

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to boston

We are staying in Truro for a week. Is it worth taking a boat over to Boston for a day trip.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to boston

The boat ride is 2 hours each way. Sure, why not..

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to boston

Hi Fiona,

The answer to this question somewhat depends on your total vacation plans. Where are you flying into from Scotland? If you are flying into or out of Boston, you'd be better off adding a day or two on to your trip and visiting Boston then. But if you aren't planning on getting to Boston (perhaps you are driving to the Cape from NYC), then a day trip to Boston might be a fun idea.

I believe the Boston to Ptown ferry takes about 1 1/2 hours. It drops you off right in downtown Boston so you can see quite a few points of interest in Boston in a day. I would suggest that you spend some time doing the Freedom Trail (history trail) and some time visiting either the Faneuil Hall shopping area or the Back Bay. Some people enjoy buying a ticket on the many trolley tours that offer hop on and hop off service throughout the day. It all depends on what you are hoping to do in Boston.

Having just checked out the fast ferry schedule (see link below), you will get to Boston at noontime and have about 7 hours to tour. That should be enough for a good overview. But it's not cheap.

www.provincetownfastferry.com/schedule.html

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to boston

I agree about spending time in Boston before you head to the Cape, if you're flying into Logan. It is definitely worth a visit, either way.

Our friends from the U.K. loved the duck boat tour, which takes you in an amphibious vehicle around the city, then right into the harbor for a view from the water. If you go, be sure to visit Faneuil Hall & Quincy Market, Beacon Hill, and at least Paul Revere's House and Old North Church along the Freedom Trail. Have fun!

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to boston

Hi, from the link it looks like the first boat arrives at noon & the last one leaves Boston at 5.30. Do you think this will be enough time. We were going to stay in Boston for 2 nights before going down to the Cape but have worked out that this will cost us an extra £600+ due to the hotels being quite expensive & the taxi to & from the airport. We flying in from Scotland on the Friday and then driving down to the Cape on the Saturday.

Islesboro, Maine
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to boston

Greetings!

For Boston accomodations, have you tried the Marriot Hotel Long Wharf in Boston? I see high summer rates at approx $449 USD for 2 nights on-line. Look on-line for promotional codes. That said, I always find directly booking with the hotel itself (not on-line and not 1-800 toll free) will get you the best deal. The local # is 1-617-227-0800 and 1-617-227-0815. Be sure to keep asking about deals and specials!

You cannot beat the location of this hotel. Steps to the New England Aquarium... And the PTown ferry leaves STEPS from the front door. For added fun, you can take the water taxi direct from the airport to the hotel.

Hope that helps!

Islesboro, Maine
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to boston

Post Script:

You can rent a car in Provincetown once the ferry lands and skip what can be a horrendous drive to the Cape. Enterprise Rental Car will pick you up from the ferry for free and take you to the rental agency at 1 Race Point road. their # is 1-508-487-0009. I think Thrifty Rental, another national chain, also has a Provincetown office.

Consider this as an alternative to renting a car in Boston... Traveling by water is always more fun, but then again I now live on an island so that is my personal opinion!

Hope that helps!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to boston

Hi Fiona: You're going to have a great trip. I also feel that anytime you can be on a boat is time and money well spent. But if money is an issue this trip: Did you know the ferry fare is $71.00 pp round trip? That might indeed add up to be the same cost as a night in a Boston area hotel depending upon how many of you there are.

You might consider staying near Logan airport, after arrival and before your Cape Cod jaunt, in lodgings that may cost substantially less than a city hotel and take the T into the City over the course of a few days.

Take a look on Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz etc. for hotel options and their discount prices (you can use those prices if you decide to call the hotel directly to negotiate your room price!)

Here's a TA link for more information, some had suggested making reservations on the weekends in the summer months:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g41778-i483-k22083…

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,305 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip to boston

Hey there Fiona, What happened last Sept.? Did you and your bf come to the Cape as you planned? I think you said you were going to visit Boston too. Maybe your plans fell though??? So, is this your first trip to the Cape?

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip to boston

Our plans fell through due to bf's work commitments. We went to Palm Springs for Xmas instead. Looking forward to this trip. Just a shame we dont have a longer vacation to fit in more time in Boston. We may come back again & do Boston and some other areas.

10. Re: day trip to boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Provincetown
Recent Conversations