We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching in October

miami
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching in October

We are planning to go whale watching out of Cape Cod at the very begining of October. Has anyone done that at that time of year? Are there whales? Are the seas very choppy then? How much time should I allow for travelling from Hyannis to Provincetown?

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching in October

October is toward the end of the whale-watching season, so some of the whales will probably have moved on by then. But if there weren't any whales, the fleets wouldn't offer excursions at that time of year.

The trip from Hyannis to P-town takes a little less than an hour and a half, although there's a company that operates out of Hyannis if you want to do the trip from there.

The seas can be choppy any time. If you're prone to seasickness, be sure to take Dramamine or Bonine before you head out.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching in October

Oh - and be sure to bundle up, because it's going to be COLD out on the water.

miami
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching in October

thanks a lot for your input, Pastiche!

London, England
Level Contributor
22 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching in October

I have just returned from Boston/Cape Cod. Back in FEBRUARY we booked and paid in full for a whale watch at the end of October. We drove from Falmouth where we were staying all the way to Provincetown and when we arrived there was a notice on the door of Dolphin Whale Fleet saying that they had packed up for the season. This was a bright sunny day, no adverse weather conditions whatsoever. An email would have been basic courtesy, I feel. Be warned what they are like.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching in October

Wow. I'm really sorry to hear this. Have you been able to get a refund?

6. Re: Whale watching in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 07:16