We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

Hello Everyone,

Planning a last minute trip to Cape Cod with my Mom. Doing the Cape Cod Dinner train Sat night and then whale watch with Dolphin Fleet hopefully on Sunday AM - NEXT Weekend! The activities were Mom's choice but I get to pick the place to stay. Was hoping for something in between that we could drive to after the dinner train and not have too long a drive in the AM to get to p-town. Problem I am having is a room with 2 beds as most are B&Bs with single beds only in the room.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,423 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

There's probably a hundred places to choose from between Hyannis and Provincetown, and most are not B&B's ... have you tried looking under hotels/motels in the various Cape Cod towns?

You'll be getting off the train around 9, so my guess is driving just a bit and stopping somewhere between like Harwich or Orleans (or maybe Eastham) would be your best bet.

What sort of lodging are you looking for (other than something with two beds)? Here's a few places I've passed but have no personal experience. Check out the reviews here on Tripadvisor.

There's TONS of places on rte 28 in/near Yarmouth, but you may want to drive a bit further before settling in ...

Bayside Resort (Yarmouth)

Beach n Towne Motel (Yarmouth)

Best Western (Yarmouth)

Tidewater Inn (Yarmouth)

Raddison (Yarmouth)

Kingfisher (Dennis)

Travelodge (W Dennis)

Sandpiper Beach Hotel (Harwich)

Cove Motel (Orleans)

Seashore Park Inn (Orleans)

Sheraton (Eastham)

Ocean Park Inn (Eastham)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,035 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

Hi Lindsyb, Do you WANT a B&B? Or would a hotel room work for you? Are you just looking for a room for sleeping or will you be able to check in and enjoy the afternoon before you do the dinner train?

You can really get some helpful input if you indicate your budget for the room as well because there ARE a lot of options. Sounds like you'll be having a lot of fun.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

I know Mom picked the Dinner Train, but perhaps she'll rethink it when you tell her it's not something that's often enjoyed. It's getting darker earlier and earlier now, there's a good chance you'll be riding on the train in the dark (no views) eating just so-so food. Is she committed to the train?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

Here's a bit more info. I was trying to find a B&B or something a little bit different as we will have most of Saturday to enjoy it before the train ride and was hoping for around $200/night but am willing to spend a bit more and certainly a bit less is fine too. Besides, the hotel is my treat for her!

Unfortunately, we are stuck with the train as Mom has a gift certificate that she would like to use. I am sure we can make the best of that part.

Although I am hoping the weather will hold out as right now it looks like rain for next weekend. I will keep an eye on that and we can do the whale watch another time if we have to.

Thanks for the ideas so far - I will look into all of them.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

My mom and I have stayed at both the Bradford Inn and the Wayside Inn. Bradford has continental breakfast included, which is pretty good...fresh fruit, breads, muffins, bagels etc. Bradford Inn is just off Main St Chatham and Wayside is on Main St. Both are nice...probably over 200 though...maybe they have some deals after Labor day. Hope the weather holds out for you.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

axa beach: I love those two properties too. I especially love their proximity to all the conveniences of Main Street. They're a nice suggestion and worth checking for 'deals'. Prices should go down after this weekend.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

I looked at both of those properties and they are closer to $300 which is more than I wanted to spend but they do look great. I'll try again to see if there is a special offer section on the webpage or if they offer AAA rate.

In the meantime, how is the Sandpiper Beach Inn? Not sure they have availability - I just called and got no answer but I'll try again and see.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,035 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

Sandpiper - new owner Bryan Keenan is in the middle of a 3-year restoration. Just 21 rooms fronting on the beach and most have a private patio. Continental breakfast may be available or perhaps that is only during high season. You'll get a better sense of the property if you can have a conversation but it's on the beach which is really the best right?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,035 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

And, if you like the idea of staying in Harwich, then you can also check www.commodoreinn.com. They are not ON the beach but they are the first property off the beach - an easy stroll. If you can get one of their vaulted ceiling rooms it will feel extra spacious.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip next weekend - Hotel Help

I just wanted to report back. Although a bit more than I had originally intended, I booked a room at the Bradford Inn and we couldn't have been happier.

The room and the Inn were great and the people all tremendously helpful. My mom and I really enjoyed ourselves.

You were all right - the dinner train was only OK and we probably wouldn't do it again but it was nice to do once.

We were also successful with the whale watch although it started out very foggy. We ended up seeing a couple of different groups of whales.

So thank you all for your help and assistance - we had a great time.