We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Length and time of stay?

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Length and time of stay?

Hi all,

I'm planning to visit Ptown with my boyfriend next summer time. We are travelling from the UK so will probably spend a night or two in Boston (to get some lobster) before heading on to Ptown.

We are flexible with dates so wondered whether any experts could kindly recommend how long they would recommend spending in Ptown (should I rent a car while there to explore the place / see other places) and when is a good time to visit (considering peak / non-peak hotel prices). I'll probably budget a max of USD200 a night for the accommodation.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Length and time of stay?

Hi, high season runs basically from the last week of June/first week of July until the first week in September. June can be a beautiful month (no guarantees!) so you might consider the second or third week of the month as an alternative. There will be people there & everything will be open, it just isn't as crowded as July & August. You will need a car if you want to see any more of Cape Cod & yes, I would recommend doing so. (You do have options, if you prefer to go without a car, you can take a ferry from Boston directly to P-town. ) How long you stay is really a personal choice, P-town in the summer has lots of night life and plenty to keep you busy during the day.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
223 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Length and time of stay?

Several of the decent guesthouses have beautiful rooms that range from about $130 USD to about $180 USD. Considering that you are on a budget, these should be considered over a few of the more posh places (I'd avoid Crowne Point and the Anchor Inn; both are gorgeous, but are priced out of bounds. But I would, however, suggest Seasons, Snug Cottage, and Aerie House... all three of which are located in the beautiful gallery-filled East End.)

Everything in P-town is an easy walk, excluding the National Seashore beaches, but those are easily gotten to by the shuttle buses that run every half hour and cost only like a dollar. You do not want to drive in P-town. It's a tiny seaside village, and your car will be a burden, not a blessing (not to mention a waste of car rental money, as you can literally walk to everything you'll want in town.)

After visiting Boston for a couple days, I think you'll find Provincetown offers a great taste of Cape Cod with an inclusive nightlife and the best people-watching on the East Coast. I doubt the urge to travel much more than Boston/Provincetown will arise, and there's an incredibly convenient 90 minute ferry from Boston to P-town, thus deleting any need for vehicle at all.

Cheers.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Length and time of stay?

That's true about not needing a car for Provincetown. However, if you want to explore the rest of Cape Cod while you're here, you will need a car. If you were staying longer than two days, I would say it's a necessity, but for two days there is plenty to see in and around Provincetown itself.

Hadley...
Level Contributor
817 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Length and time of stay?

By all means enjoy Boston it's great, but Ptown has plenty of lobster too!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
202 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Length and time of stay?

Labor Day weekend is a great time of year to visit Provincetown. Not so hot during the day but still warm enough to swim in the bay or ocean. P-Tpwn is alot of fun and you may just want to stay a few days longer. It's great for couples. Plenty of night life, a couple theaters which have hilarious drag shows, great shopping on Commercial St and yes, plenty of lobster. If you stay at a hotel off the main strip, there's a shuttle that takes you downtown and costs $2 a ride. For a better room rate, some people stay at one of the many hotels and inns in North Truro and take the shuttle to downtown P-Town. That's up to you. Have a great trip!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Length and time of stay?

You'll see when you book your hotels for these 2 destinations that in the summer, hotels prices on the Cape will be rather high and Boston hotel rooms may bit a bit of a relative bargain. After Labor Day (still 'high season' on Cape Cod) the cost of hotel rooms all over the Cape will drop some and Boston hotels prices may increase a bit. (6 of one...1/2 dozen of another).

Agree that Ptown is worth a visit from anywhere; you'll appreciate a car if you decide to explore the Cape beyond Provincetown.

While in Provincetown: Take a whale watch; they're great!

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Length and time of stay?

Thanks for the tips and advice people. It sounds like that P-town is a good place to visit but if we are staying longer in the area then it's worth getting a car to explore a bit.

We will end up flying into Boston from the UK so that's definitely on the trip plan.

Many thanks again

Jon

Hadley...
Level Contributor
817 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Length and time of stay?

Great. We are here if you have more questions.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
180 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Length and time of stay?

If going to Boston then Ptown, I agree with everyone, skip the car and just take the ferry over. I drive up to Ptown from NY several times a year and park my car at which ever B&B I stay at and the car never moves.

The best way to get around Ptown is by bicycle. There are tons of places to rent for the week. Or you can just walk.

I like doing 5 nights, many places require a min 3 nights during peak season (End June - Sept). I find Ptown is a weekend oriented vacation spot, many people head over from Boston via the ferry on the weekends so I would revolve my stay around the weekend. Mon & Tues nights I think are the quietest.

Also there are theme weeks, see attached link. If you are gay, you might not want to go "family week". If you are not into bears, you won't want to go "bear week" Carnival week can be extremely over crowded, circuit party type crowd. And I think Woman's week mainly for lesbians would be the final theme week that will influence the time you have. All other weeks would be pretty neutral times to go. The four weeks I mentioned about heavily effect the atmosphere. I've been on these weeks but prefer a little calmer time. provincetown.com/features/…

Where to stay depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. The east end of town - Snug cottage, Somerset, Waterford is at a quieter part of the town, more mixed crowd (gay and str8) and more "calm" area. Snug is on Bradford St.which is off the action.

The White Wind Inn, Anchor Inn are directly on Commercial and in the gay center of things - In the middle of Boatslip, A-house, Paramont. White Wind is much more affordable than Anchor, but Anchor you get what you pay for. The on the west end is Land's End, Red Inn... Also very quiet over there.

I definitely recommend renting a bike though, even if for just a day to get down tot eh bike trails and beaches,

10. Re: Length and time of stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2010, 05:16