We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching

Hi thinking of visiting this strech of coast for whale watching, all th eboats seem so large and with 2 children i am worried about comimg all the way from england and having trouble viewing the whales. any reccomendations of companies or other places appreciated as we have nothing booked as yet. thanks

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching

Well, you posted in the Provincetown forum and there is only one company currently out of that port, Dolphin Fleet. Whale watch boats are about 30 meters, large enough to be very stable, but not too big to be able to get close to whales. This year there are quite a lot of whales off Provincetown (and all the boats from all Boston area ports seem to be going there to find them). Many passengers have children with them, and even when the boat is fairly full, all are usually generous about letting all kids get a good view of whatever is sighted. Have fun.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching

I took this whale watch several years ago, but it hasn't changed. Everyone can easily see the whales. I think that usually they come into an area where there are LOTS of whales and not just one. So if you're worried about people clustering at one point along the rails, I don't think that will actually affect you ability to see them. And you'll probably see them for many long minutes -- I honestly think you won't be disappointed, but be sure to bring winter jackets and scarves to wear. It is much, much colder out to sea where the boats go.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching

I agree with the other posters. I have taken the whale watch boat from Provincetown. I am an adult, but shorter than most other adults, and I had no trouble at all seeing the whales. I agree that people tend to make room for children at the rail, particularly if an accompanying adult helps make way for them. The boats also tend to slowly circle so that even if you stay seated on the deck, you will have a turn at a good view.

I agree with the other posters that you should dress very warmly: sturdy long trousers, a jumper (sweater) over a long-sleeve shirt, a windbreaker over the jumper, and maybe a warm hat. You will be out in the North Atlantic.

Edited: 30 September 2010, 20:25
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching

I've taken whale watch trips out of the Cape and also from Bar Harbor in Maine. Hands down, the Cape whale watch was so much better than the one in Maine. The Maine boat was very large, very overcrowded and we didn't see too much of anything. The Dophin Fleet trip was far superior. You and your kids will fully enjoy the experience; it's designed for families.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
223 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching

The boats are large, but the decks where people generally view the whales are spacious and afford everyone both safety and as perfect a view as one can possibly attain. The whale watch cruises leave at a multiple of times per boat, and cruises sell-out. The company, both for safety and comfort, and to provide the best all-around service, caps off how many people go on each trip. Children and handicapped people are almost always deferred to in these types of outings, not to mention it is very easy for a parent to stand directly behind his/her child(ren) to insure they can see, that they behave, and that they aren't pushed out of a vantage point because of whale activity.

The whale watches are fun & informative for all ages.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
671 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching

Everyone gets a good chance to see plenty. It's all about customer satisfaction.

The three main operators in the Cape Cod area are Dolphin Fleet from Provincetown: http://www.whalewatch.com/, Hyannis Whale Watch from Barnstable: http://whales.net/ and Capt John Boats from Plymouth: captjohn.com. Plymouth is about a 20-30 minute drive from the Sagamore Bridge heading towards Boston. Each of these three runs a top-notch trip and they all go to see the same whales. If you do choose Capt. John in Plymouth, you might consider visiting Mayflower II and/or Plimoth Plantation. It would make for a very full day, but they are both "right there." http://plimoth.org/

You didn't mention your children's ages. Not to discourage you from bringing young ones, but I suggest you consider the length of the trip and how interested your children will be after a couple of hours. Sometimes having another activity for kids is a good idea. A book to read? A game to play? Crayons and a coloring book?

Oh yeah, did anybody mention don't forget warm clothes and a windbreaker?

Harry

7. Re: Whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Provincetown