We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Ptown

Medford...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommendations for Ptown

Me and my girlfriend are taking the ferry down to Ptown this weekend and was hoping some fellow travelers could offer some suggestions for things to do/places to eat. I know that Ptown is a predominantly gay town, and that is perfectly fine with me. Honestly just looking to have a good time and take in the beauty of the Cape. In particular, if there are any reasonably-priced restaurants or good bars/clubs/comedy shows at night, please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Joe-

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Ptown

Ptown is a terrific place but I need to warn you that much of the food will be mediocre and/or overpriced. If you can splurge on a nicer meal (say, at the Mews) I would do so. Spiritus pizza does good thin-crust pizza, and I would recommend Relish (far West End) for takeaway lunch.

Comedy acts change weekly. They tend to be drag acts (w/ partly straight crowds) and you'll see people promoting them on Commercial St. Just pick one that looks good or ask around for opinions.

Nightlife tends to be either gay or townie, otherwise maybe your best bet is a restaurant patio or bar. I despise the Lobster Pot but their bar is an OK place to get drinks.

I would rent bikes if you're remotely active. Cycling in the national park is fun and a bike will help you get to the beach.

Enjoy!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Ptown

I recommend Ross's Grill for a great lunch. Have a blast!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,403 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Ptown

Take one of the Art's Dunes Tours. There's all different types from which to choose...all fun.

Edited: 15 June 2011, 01:36
boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Ptown

For shows and bars, when you get to P'town pick up a copy of Provincetown Magazine. It's free and available at many locations. It will have listings of things to do. For reasonably priced restaurants, I would recommend Patio, on Commercial St. in the near East End, Fanizzi, on Commercial St. much farther east, and Napi's on Freeman St. Most restaurants have posted menus so you can look at what they have and the prices before committing yourself. Also check out www.celebrateprovincetown.com Look under the Jun. 2011 tab for lists of restaurants and shows and links to many web pages.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
180 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Ptown

I disagree 100% that the food is mediocre and overpriced, it's quite the opposite. You get what you pay for any where you go and PTown offers so many excellent restaurants in such a small area. As with any other place though, expect to pay around $100-150 for appetizer, salad, entree and a round or two for drinks for a couple. I suggest, Jimmy's Hideaway, The Mews, Front Street, Victor's, even Red Inn for dinner. Cafe Heaven and Chache for Brunch. Try Bubula's for some great people watching and lunch

Rent a bike and go down by the Provincelands. People watch, whale watch, pool or beach, stroll around and shop. There's plenty to do.

Also Lobster Pot is touristy but isn't that OK? Lobster Pot offers perhaps some of the best Seafood in Ptown

Edited: 17 June 2011, 02:01
Connecticut
Level Contributor
223 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for Ptown

Frappo66 is not only very reasonably-priced, but it's got such a diverse selection in its cafeteria-style set-up, you can visit several times without getting bored. They have a half portion meal vwith three sides for about $10. Try getting something that good, that cheap even in non-resort areas. True, nobody waits on you at Frappo, and the cafeteria tray might offend those used to eating only on Baccarat, but the food's great and the counter staff are friendly & helpful.

For lunch, I suggest Relish, Box Lunch, and Burger Queen. All three do what they do well (and Relish has amazing baked goods).

For shows, the funniest show I've seen that wasn't one of Ryan Landry & the Gold Dust Orphans' plays, is none other than Dina Martina. Using wordplay, bizarre turns of phrase, and absurdism for absurdism's sake, Dina is the best solo show in P-town. Several of the comedy & drag acts cater more to a gay sensibility, but Dina's brand of silly translates pretty much to anyone into wit and weirdness.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for Ptown

Okay, let's talk food first (one of my favorite topics when on vacation! P-Town does have some good choices and ranges of price. That said it is not a

"Foodie" mecca, being essentially a summertime vacation destination. Front Street is always a solid choice for an impressive meal but you'll pay top $$$. That said most say it's worth it. There's a place outside of P-town, about 15 minutes in North Truro called Blackfish that's just a hidded jem. No web site, but a very talented chef. I highly recommend it. Terra Luna is good for Italian inspired dishes also in Truro near by.

Devon's is another standout in P-town for dinner and brunch. The Mew's seems to have seen better days from what I can tell as has Napi's. Red Inn gets high marks for the view, meh, for the food. Spiritus Pizza is a must do LATE, but really not for the Pizza which is just average. Open 'til 2 it's one of the only late night bites around, great people watching. For a good reasonably priced dinner, try Bayside Betty's. nice view on the patio and good food at good prices. Bubbala's By The Sea is great for lunch and probably the best people watching in town. Rent a ski-doo at Flyer's Boat rentals, Art's Dune Tours rocks and a bike ride to race point is also a must do. Lot's a great bars and shows in season. When you've seen enough (and you will see a LOT), get out to the other parts of the Cape. P-town is only a part of Cape Cod, albeit the most outrageous, but there's lots more of it! The Beachcomber in Wellfleet is an institution. Amazing views, right on the National Seashore, a world-class raw Bar, and great drinks. The Wellfleet Drive In is also a must do when we're on the Cape. For clams and your fried seafood fix there is Kreme n Kone on West Dennis and Sir Crickets. ABBA in Easton is nice, a bit too cozy maybe, small bar, but a creative, inspired menu. There is literally hundreds of miles of unspoiled National Seashore on the Cape. Park the car and just walk. Very romantic, very 'Cape Cod'. Have a BLAST!!

8. Re: Recommendations for Ptown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Provincetown