We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival week, suitable for small children?

Boston...
Level Contributor
25 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival week, suitable for small children?

Hello,

I am trying to book a place for this August, we found a condo we like is open on carnival week. I would love to see the parade etc., but our daughter is 3yo. Will the events be too loud, crazy, crowded to enjoy with her? (Overfilled restaurants, drunk people acting out, traffic etc) or are there things kids can do they would enjoy?

Is the whole week crazy, or does it calm down Monday to Wednesday?

Special Offer
Go Boston Card
127 Reviews
from US$56.00*
US$59.00
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
38 Reviews
from US$60.00*
Jeremy Point Jaunt from Wellfleet...
2 Reviews
from US$50.00*
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival week, suitable for small children?

Three is probably okay, because she won;t know any better or to ask. Any older and I would say "Forget it".

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival week, suitable for small children?

Personally, I would not take a 3 year old to Carnival unless you want to carry her the entire time. The week is very crowded and not oriented toward children.

Boston...
Level Contributor
25 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival week, suitable for small children?

Thanks thats the Kind of thing we needed to know. Like restaurants will be slow and crowded, no room to bike etc.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,034 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival week, suitable for small children?

Hope you'll still come to the Cape. There sure are lots of other great towns to explore. If you want to consider the Upper Cape you can locate on the beach at the newly renovated Sea Crest, a visit to the Children's Museum in Mashpee could be the highlight for your child or perhaps that would be watching feeding time for the seals at the child sized aquarium in Woods Hole where petting is encouraged. Oh and your bikes? Bring them for the Shining Sea bike path which runs between Falmouth and Woods Hole.

Mentioned in this post
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
1,024 Reviews
Falmouth, MA
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
25 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival week, suitable for small children?

Thanks

We will definitely come a different week. We want provicetown, but maybe we'll try that end another time.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival week, suitable for small children?

Carnival Week could be kind of intense for a small child but there is really no reason not come at that time. Everywhere will be very crowded however. I see many small children at Carnival and they seem to enjoy it. Biking in the Seashore would be no different from other times. Biking on Commercial St. would be difficult. I try to bike everywhere and I just won't go downtown during the summer if I can avoid. Sometimes biking is no faster than walking, given all the oblivious tourists wandering around.

Edited: 14 February 2012, 22:26
Connecticut
Level Contributor
223 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival week, suitable for small children?

Heat, fatigue, boredom, and the child's short attention span are the main reasons to consider. The parade is extremely slow-moving and the only places that aren't obscenely congested are on the East End from Ciro & Sal's eastward. Last year, we stood around joking with fellow parade-goers for well over an hour before the parade hit our area. A great number of costumed folk wander around before and after, but three is an iffy age to hold that much attention. If the child was older, I'd say yes, but I think that you'll be carrying a bored and fussy kid for a long time.

Restaurants will be tricky on the day of Carnival itself, but with reservations, none of the good stuff is inaccessible.

The drunks & crazies would only be an issue later at night. I presume you'd return home by 10pm?

My response here is to all people questioning Carnival Week, with or without children. Agoraphobia is the only major reason I could argue no. It, along with Bear Week, are the best themed weeks with the best energies and attitudes.

8. Re: Carnival week, suitable for small children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 10:17