We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

Which Provincetown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

we are planning a family vacation with our two young kids aged 4 and 6. We are thinking of provincetown because it sounds very lively and vibrant. and because of proximity to whale cruises. I understand it is considered a top gay destination, but wanted to know if other families with kids are coming there, or we will sort of "stick out". I have absolutely no problems with gay people, but would like my kids to have the company of other children their age.

And some other questions:

What is the name of the main street?

Know of any kid's attractions?

know of somewhere where people with ABSOLUTELY NO KNOWLEDGE of fishing can get some gear and guidance of how to fish?

Thank you

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

I can answer some of your questions. The main street is called Commercial Street. You will probably only do one whale watch so not really necessary to stay in Provincetown for that. Plenty of places to stay in easy driving distance.

What kind of fishing do you want to do? There will be other families with children staying in in the area or visiting for the day.What is considered lively and vibrant to some can be a big turn off for others. It's a personal choice.

Israel
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

If vibrant means drunk people all around, and basically a party destination, than - no, that's not for us. We want a nice place where you can take the kids to ice cream or a child friendly restaurant, and enjoy the beach. We do not want a college spring break like vacation. Is it like that?

What would be you suggestion of a nice place to stay near by? is there a lot of traffic to provincetown, or a serious parking problem?

About the fishing - as I said, I am inexperienced, and frankly did not know there are several kind of fishing... I just want something fun to do with the kids, a starting point for fishing,

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

I love Provincetown but it can get very crowded during the week. In that it may be hard to walk down the sidewalk because it's so crowded. We always visit but stay in Wellfleet or Truro. But you don't have to be in the center of Provincetown all day and night. It can be quite difficult to park in the center of Provincetown but you can pay to park in a lot.

Are you thinking of staying in a hotel/motel or renting a house or cottage?

Check the Provincetown website to check for "theme" weeks. Some weeks are more popular than others. But gay life has changed over the years and many couples I know have families of their own--so while there can be a "spring break" atmosphere at some places, there are also many many families around--both gay and straight.

Wellfleet might fit your needs. A small town center, casual restaurants, beautiful beaches, close to P-town, and two good ice cream places--one in town and one on the town pier. Look at the National Seashore website and that for the Wellfleet Audubon Center for children's activities.

Just search for fishing charters--some are small and others seem to cater to families, like this one: http://www.naviator.com/fish.html

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

just to echo what others have said...

Provincetown is great but there's no particular reason to stay in the city, unless possibly you want to cruise the bars at night (doesn't sound like what you are looking for). It's accessible from just about anywhere on the Cape (we used to go to P-town from Sandwich).

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

Provincetown is a great place but it is not for everyone and I can't say whether it is good for you. As others have said, you don't have to stay in town or even on the outskirts as it is easily accessible from say Orleans on. Since we usually stay towards Chatham, my familiarity is mostly in the daytime so can't comment on what the evening goings on may be but we make a point of visiting for lunch, dinner, drinks each time we are on the Cape because it is so much fun. Don't recall if we ever visited Ptownwhen our kids were that young but we certainly took them to Rehoboth which has a vibrant gay culture as well without any qualms.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
994 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

i think P'town is a good place for kids. There's a lot activity in town. There are great beaches in the National Seashore and if you're not up to going out there on a particular day, you'll find a lot kids on the town beaches which feature calm, shallow water (at low tide you can walk hundreds of yards out into the harbor at places and look for small fish, crabs, snails....), and relatively warmer water. You can go bike riding (rentals including tandems available) in the seashore too. There are kid friendly shops and sightseeing attractions. Climbing the Pilgrim Monument can wear out any small child. The library's children' s dept. has a half scale model (big!) of a grand banks schooner in it.

There are playgrounds in each end of town. The town, the P'town Art Association, the library, the West End Sailing Club, and others have children's programs too.

You will not stick out. There are a lot of kids in town.

There are fishing boats that go out for several hours and will provide fishing gear and show you how to fish.

When were you planning to visit and for how long? There is plenty to do for several days but small children will eventually get bored no matter where you go. If you plan to be in P'town at the beginning of August it will be family week and the place will be overrun with children.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

We often took our kids to Provincetown when they were little and we all had a great time! They will be other families there.

Whale watching, fishing boats, renting a Sunfish, biking all through the National Seashore, searching the flats at low tide, etc.

We preferred staying at either end of Commercial Street in a condo or rental apt. and then were able to walk everywhere. If you stay in another town then anytime you want to do something in P'town you will be fighting the traffic.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 19:48
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

You will definitely not stick out in Provincetown by having children with you. There are plenty of families there (some of them gay families).

Some restaurants are more geared for adults (as in any place) and some are more kid-friendly. A quick scan of the Tripadvisor restaurants for Provincetown can help you there. The Mayflower Restaurant right in the center of town is a great place for a family to eat. Also Townsend’s out on Shankpainter Road. They are both sit-down restaurants. John’s Footlong at Lope’s Square is also fun for kids. Order at a window and take your food to a bench by the harbor.

As to attractions for kids they might like the Whydah (Pirate) Museum or the Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum. There are no miniature golf courses (there are a couple in Eastham about 20 miles south. Of course there are the beaches, Herring Cove and Race Point. There is a small National Seashore Visitor Center at Race Point (I can’t remember if they have much for young children). At the Salt Pond Visitor Center down in Eastham there is a much larger visitor center that does have displays for young children. They also run educational programs. There are fishing charters that will take you out of Provincetown harbor if you want that kind of fishing.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

It's not a nonstop frat party. There are some bars that have a "gay singles bar" vacation party atmosphere at the end of the day and at night, but the partying doesn't dominate the whole village or dominate all of the pubs and restaurants. You can still have a relaxed and peaceful lunch or dinner, an ice cream, even a few adult beverages in a bar without feeling like you are in a crazy party scene.

Plenty of people enjoy Provincetown with families (many of them straight), but people do let their hair down a bit and you'll have some entertaining people watching. Whether you'll consider it too "out there" to be appropriate for your family is hard to gauge.

Do expect crowds though, with crowded sidewalks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is provincetown a good place for vacation with young kids?

A friend of mine grew up spending every summer in Provincetown with his siblings and parents, who had a summer house there. There are heterosexual families during the summer in Provincetown, mainly in the quieter East End, outside the center of town, toward Truro. I think that could be a great place to stay with kids. You might also consider staying in Truro, but then you will have to deal with driving into Provincetown, with its congestion and having to pay for parking. Provincetown is more fun on foot. The center of town during the day, with its craziness and liveliness, could be lots of fun for kids, and there are beautiful beaches. There are activities like kayak rental (don't try it on a windy day) in town, fun shops to visit, places to eat ice cream, and so on.

The West End of town, near the center, is where the gay bars are, so it can be noisy at night.

There are some times and places where you will find off-color activity or skimpy (or nonexistent) clothing where you might not want to take your kids. Those places would include the south end of Herring Cove beach (that is, walking to the left from the parking lot). The parts of the beach near the parking lot and to the right are fine, but if you go a quarter mile or more down the beach to the left, you may find gay men with skimpy or no bikinis on the beach and prowling behind the dunes for quick encounters. You also find that sort of thing on the beach on the harbor in the West End of town after about midnight. As I say, there are no such issues near the parking lot or walking to the right from the parking lot at Herring Cove Beach, and Race Cove Beach is also quite G-rated.