We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town for our first trip to the cape?

Which Provincetown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which town for our first trip to the cape?

We are thinking of a cape vacation at the end of the summer. This will be our first trip. Not sure where to stay. We have 4 kids between the ages of 8 and 11. Need something close to things for the kids and also oceanfront (or very close to beach) with a pool.

Looking at Provincetown, Hyannis or Yarmouth but are open to suggestions for other areas.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,516 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town for our first trip to the cape?

Your latter two options are more appropriate for family imho. Lot's of families locate along Nantucket Sound in Yarmouth however Dennis and especially Dennisport/West Dennis is known to be very family friendly with regard to accommodations, dining options and activities, not to mention 16 beautiful beaches.

If you are planning to stay in a motel then you will find some beachfront in Dennisport and many lining the main rd (Rt 28) in Yarmouth, though you might prefer those on the Nantucket Sound beaches. These areas will have lots for the kids to do.

If you are staying for at least a week you might want to consider renting a summer home with at least three bedrooms. That will give you more elbow room at a lower per person cost and the ability to keep snacks and maybe breakfast in the fridge, a yard to play in, a washer/dryer to fluff up your beach towels, beach chairs and so forth. But there are trade offs like, no maid service, no pool and you are required to tidy up before you check out.

Families stay all over the Cape and have a great time. I'm sure you all will too.

Liverpool, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town for our first trip to the cape?

One place we came across in our search for a place to stay was the Red Jacket Resorts. They have about 5 different resorts all over Cape Cod and I know for sure there is one in Yarmouth.

You can find their site at www.redjacketresorts.com

They have scheduled activities for kids, pools, and are on the beach.

Hope that helps

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town for our first trip to the cape?

I can also recommend the Three Seasons Resort in Dennis, right on the beach with a pool. They also have several cottages available to rent across the street with access to beach & pool.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town for our first trip to the cape?

What have you seen when you looked? Anything found that seemed to fit but you have questions? Have you started with the official tourism websites that are set up to identify so many more options than we can? Search where to stay in box above. Thousands of prior posts asking same thing but you won't find a consensus.

New York
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town for our first trip to the cape?

I have done some research but there is so much information to sort through. I looked at the red jacket resort. The cost is over $300 per night for our stay. Since we plan to stay for a week this is out of our price range.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am going to do some research on Dennis.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,516 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town for our first trip to the cape?

You could pick up a 3-bedroom house with yard for about $1200-1300 for the week within a 1/2 mile to the beach in Dennisport at the end of August.

Liverpool, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town for our first trip to the cape?

Unfortunately, you will be hard pressed to find anything under $300 a night that will accomodate 6 people. Especially if it's on the beach or even close to one during peak season. Not saying that they don't exist, it will just take a lot of searching to find if they do.

And as someone said before, a rental home or cottage might be your best bet.

Have you looked at www.seasidecapecod.com? They have cottages on the beach in South Yarmouth.

Edited: 22 June 2012, 14:45
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which town for our first trip to the cape?

Practical advise,- find the nicest place you can afford anywhere on the cape. Once you find it, if you want to ask a question, don't hesitate. I promise you won't be too far from a nice beach, some town center, good pizza, a lobster pound, or whatever you are looking for. I just doesn't matter, your kids will have a great time and so will you.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which town for our first trip to the cape?

I agree with CCC. A house rental makes sense for a family of 6. I know that CCC lists a lovely house with Martha Murry real estate in Dennis. Perhaps you can consider an entire house instead of looking for a suite for 6?

New York
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which town for our first trip to the cape?

Ok, I think I may have found something but was hoping for some feedback. Does anyone have any feedback on the Green Harbor water front hotel in Foulmouth? Is this a nice place to stay?

Is it in a good proximately to restaurants, beach, activities, etc…

thanks