We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly?

Nevada
Level Contributor
110 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly?

Our family of 5 is flying into Boston June 6 for a week. I've always wanted to visit Salem and Gloucester so Cape Ann's high on the list. We were thinking of baseing in Rockport and then making day trips to the beach, etc. Our kids are 14, 11, and 2. How family-friendly is Rockport? Some of the posts I've read make it sound more geared to adults. We've been to towns before that didn't even have high chairs--don't want to make that mistake again! Is Rockport family friendly? Would Gloucester or Salem be a better choice?

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly?

Bump - this is a good question. I have never taken my kids to Rockport. It is a lovely little artist town with art galleries & Photography galleries. It also has salt water taffy and a funky toy store or two. I think Salem has more to do with kids and might make a better base camp but that doesn't mean Rockport isn't kid friendly. I looked at a bunch of their restaurants and while I can't tell if they have high chairs the menus are certainly kid friendly. Hopefully a North shore local can reply with better info. Good luck!

Rockport...
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly?

Rockport is very kid friendly, and plenty visit each season. Very few of the galleries are formal, and there aren't THAT many shops, so I'd assume much of your time will be spent doing other things such as beaches or hiking.

Nevada
Level Contributor
110 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly?

Thank you, I'm glad to hear that! I don't expect that we'll do much gallery shopping. We will probably eat out quite a bit, though. Nothing fancy, just casual dining, so it sounds like we'll be alright. Thanks for your post!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly?

szpal,

After looking at your post, it has me wondering. Do you expect to go swimming at the beaches during your stay? If so, you'll be running out faster than you go in for sure. The beaches will be open, but the water is not warm enough for enjoyable swimming yet. It's more for suntanning and being at the water. I know Nevada has been very hot lately, but this is Massachusetts. Water temps will still be in the 50's. If your kids need punishing, send them in the ocean! LOL. Otherwise, enjoy the ocean without actually swimming in it.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Family friendly?

Actually at this rate, don't forget to bring jacket or hoodie for the beach. It's been between 55-65 degrees, but it's cooler with the wind. There is still plenty to do, and of course there are always day trips too.

Nevada
Level Contributor
110 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family friendly?

LOL! Actually, we're in the COLD part of Nevada this week, so hard to imagine swimming anywhere anytime soon. No, I figured the water would be pretty cold since "high season" for vacation rentals seemed to be July and August. My kids are easy to please and will just be thrilled to see sand!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
257 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family friendly?

Rockport and Gloucester are both charming New England sea towns. Rockport and Gloucester border one another so it will be easy to see both towns from either location. Actually you'll easily be able to see all three towns during your stay. Salem isn't as quaint and small-town as Rockport and Gloucester but has more organized attractions. House of Seven Gables is really interesting. Candy making shop (Ye Olde Pepper Companie) in operation since 1806 is within walking distance of House of Seven Gables and is fun for kids since you can look through the shop's window to see the candy being made. Research any of the witchcraft related exhibits in Salem before visiting. Some are very good but some are both expensive and extremely hokey.

As for restaurants Halibut Point in Gloucester is a great casual spot for a meal. Great chowder, burgers, Rueben sandwiches and fish and very family friendly. My niece and newphew, now 28 and 25, have been visiting Rockport since they were toddlers and insist on a trip to Halibut Point whenever they visit Cape Ann. In Rocport: Helmut's Strudel - yum and Lobster Pool - casual restaurant with great seafood at water's edge with terrific sunsets. Historic Hawthorne Hotel in Salem is a decent place for a comfortable lunch - and vkid friendly.

Nevada
Level Contributor
110 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family friendly?

Great, thanks so much for the help! Can anyone tell me approximately how long (driving time) it will take to get from Salem to Rockport on a Saturday afternoon in early June?

Nevada
Level Contributor
110 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family friendly?

Oops, I should have specified that we want to take the scenic drive over, which I'm thinking is Rt. 127.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Family friendly?

"Great, thanks so much for the help! Can anyone tell me approximately how long (driving time) it will take to get from Salem to Rockport on a Saturday afternoon in early June?"

How long do you plan to be on Cape Ann?

The trip from Salem is 35 minutes or so normally, significantly longer if you take a scenic detour. I would head up Rte 1A from Salem through Beverly to Rte. 62 or 22 and then onto Rte 128. You could either pick up Rte 127 in Manchester, or take Rte 133 across and pick it up in Gloucester. From there I'd plan to follow Rte 127A to Rockport with a detour by Rocky Neck and along Atlantic Road. (Eastern Point Boulevard to Farrington to Atlantic Road) Atlantic Road will eventually turn into Thatcher Road and Rte 127A.

Here's a look at the route in Google Maps: http://tinyurl.com/4v8yxc

Get answers to your questions about Rockport