We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockport or Gloucester??

Which Rockport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Rockport or Gloucester??

I think my computer ate my last post...

Planning a 3-trip North of Boston is early October. Going to Salem, Cape Ann and Essex. I'm wondering about where to stay. It looks like these towns are all pretty close to each other so it comes down to which towm has the most to offer. I think I've narrowed it down between Rockport and Gloucester. Any thoughts about one town vs the other?? Thanks in advance for any/all feedback!!

Upstate, New York
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockport or Gloucester??

If you're going to the beach, definitly Gloucester as Good Harbor Beach is hard to beat. If you're not going to the beach and you're more interested in not having to drive anywhere, Rockport might be better as you can walk the shops and eat right there. We've stayed at the Vista in Gloucester, affordable and close to Good Harbor Beach (they give reduced parking rates to the beach) It's only a 5 minute drive b/n the two so it depends on whether you're looking for an artsy/more adult type atmosphere (Rockport), or a more low key, family beach atmosphere (Gloucester)....The Causeways in Gloucester is a great "non touristy" place to get a great prime rib (possibly only on Fridays??) or even fish. The Fish Shack in Rockport is also very good. (their fish cakes are cheap and fresh)

Whichever you chose, I'm sure you'll have a great time, especially this time of year....

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockport or Gloucester??

Gloucester definitely has the better beaches (Wingaersheek is another), but it may be too cool in October to do much more than walk along them. Rockport does have some sandy areas, but they're small and you soon learn how the town got its name!

Lodging-wise, Rockport is more of an "inn" sort of community and Gloucester is more "motel," with exceptions on both counts. In terms of general atmosphere in the towns, there are well-to-do sections of Gloucester but it also has a large not-so-well-off population befitting its deep roots as a fishing port. Rockport has a more sleepy, suburban overall feel to it.

Only this past spring did Rockport cease to be a "dry" town, to the extent that a few restaurants are now allowed to serve beer and wine. Bars and package stores continue to be forbidden by law.

So it depends on what "offerings" you're after. I personally prefer Rockport between the two, but that's me.

Mass
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockport or Gloucester??

Just wanted to clear a few things up...the liquour licenses are NOT just beer and wine. Also, Rockport has some long, sandy, lovely beaches...just not downtown.

fl
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockport or Gloucester??

Both are wonderful. If I have to make a choice, I'd say Rockport. Very quaint, you can get to most everything on foot, cute little shops & restaurants, artist's painting on the streets and it's beautiful. Gloucester smells a tad too much like fish for me, but I always visit anyway and you get used to it :) The towns are very close to each other so I'd suggest trying to go to both if you can.

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rockport or Gloucester??

Rockport is artier than Gloucester.

That said, Gloucester is full of maritime history and lovely seascapes. The hotel may be more inexpensive in Gloucester. Rockport is much more like the Cape.

6. Re: Rockport or Gloucester??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Rockport