We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

Charleston
Level Contributor
150 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

I am planning our honeymoon from September 4-September 10. I have looked at numerous places and have not been able to make a decision. I wanted to pick something that was not as touristy as a Cape Cod, but still had great beaches and other romantic attractions. I would appreciate any advice you could give. If you have other suggestions, I am open to those as well. Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

Good morning Skull04,

Any time after Labor Day will be fine for Rockport I would think. That's usually how it is up and down the coast. You'll really enjoy it, especially during the week when it's nice and quiet!

I saw the prettiest Inn today near the Rockport/Gloucester area that you could check out, it really looks amazing here!

www.emersoninnbythesea.com

I'm sure you'll get a lot of different suggestions because of people right from the Cape Ann area on this Forum that will be more than happy to give you great information for a lot of attractions as well as things to do and see while you're visiting Cape Ann!

Enjoy your honeymoon and best wishes!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

You could hardly do better than Rockport in the off-season. The beaches there are small and shabby (IMHO) but Wingershaek (sp?) Beach in Gloucester is fantastic, as is Singing Beach two towns away in Manchester. On the North Shore, the best beaches of all are Crane in Ipswich (a nature preserve extending for about four miles) and Plum Island in Newburyport (also a nature preserve, a bit farther north and with a lot less parking.)

Rockport itself boasts the purposely quaint Bearskin Neck - a hodgepodge of funky shops and some restaurants leading to an ocean overlook - and many more stores and eating places. It's a thriving art colony, with numerous galleries as a consequence, and the center of town is very walkable. You can also easily reach the Headlands on foot - a rock outcropping with sweeping vistas but without the Bearskin Neck crowds. Another view not to be missed is of the Twin Lights, the only paired lighthouses in existence. You can get an eyeful of them from many points in the southeastern part of town, but the best vantage place is along Eden Rd.

Lovers of nature should make Halibut Point State Park a destination. It's a granite quarry from long ago, "returned to nature" but with many of the rock pits still there. (Dare ya to skinnydip in one, LOL - "What 'No Swimming' signs, officer?") There's considerable bird life, and more awesome ocean vistas - it's said you can see the Maine coast on clear days.

Fans of whimsy go out of their way to visit the Paper House, which is what the name implies. It's about 3/4 of the way to Halibut Point from Rockport Center. When a Cambridge engineer bought land for a "retreat," he decided in those pre-recycling days of the mid-20th Century to constructively discard the five newspapers a day he read. He built a cottage whose walls and framing were largely made from compressed and varnished newspaper, and carried that theme to many of its furnishings as well. (The "housing" of the grandfather clock is said to be built from the front pages of the newspapers from the capitals of each of the Lower 48 states.) Good nerdy fun.

Also to be savored are Gloucester's Hammond Castle, and one of the fried-clam restaurants in neighboring Essex. (Debate is furious over which is better: Woodman's - "the birthplace of the fried clam," Farnham's, or neither of the above.)

Salem and Newburyport are about 45 minutes away by car; Boston, a little over an hour. There is good commuter-rail service to each city from Rockport; it's direct to Boston and Salem but would involve a train change in Beverly for Newburyport. Plan well ahead by consulting timetables at mbta.com if you decide to head anywhere by this means.

Where you stay would be dictated largely by your budget. Emerson Inn by the Sea, while impressively situated, would seem to not match the hype or be worth the price judging from its TA reviews. On the other end of the money scale, Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge is well-liked and right in the center of things (yet very quiet) while the Eagle's Nest also gets thumbs up. (Any place where the worst noise is church bells can't be all bad!) I'd lean away from choosing a B & B along Broadway because of the traffic noise, but then again all may be quiet after 9 or so at night. There are several nice inns along Mt Pleasant and South Streets - at the outskirts of Rockport Center - and also on Marmion Way and Eden Rd. (The latter two streets are an incongruous mix of suburban housing and "quaint" lodging establishments, some of which offer Twin Lights views.)

Mazel tov, five months in advance!

Salem, MA
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

for a special evening and this is a little bit further in than rockport but there is the newburyport lighthouse where you dine in the very top. there is only one table. the last flight of stairs is actually a ladder. you can stay as long as you like. you order off a choice of area restaurants and is delivered to your table. it is located at 61 1/2 water street, newburyport. phone 1-800-727-BEAM.

Salem, MA
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

i found a description of it on the phantom gourmet site.

Newburyport Lighthouse (The Greatest: Exclusive Dining)

61 1/2 Water St.

Newburyport, MA 01950

800) 727-BEAM

"For the ultimate romantic dinner, the Newburyport Lighthouse provides a unique private dining experience. Guests ascend 55 steps and settle in for a BYOB night of panoramic scenery and a spectacular multi-course meal. Five of the town’s top restaurants offer their cooking services, including the Black Cow and Blue Water Cafe. Reservations are required months in advance for the season from April to December, and a worthy splurge of $350 per couple covers the food with tip, securing the lighthouse for the entire evening"

Charleston
Level Contributor
150 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

thank you all for some great advice. keep it coming!! I have checked out Seacrest Manor and Beech Tree B&B. Any word on those? If you have other ideas, we want to keep it under $229 after tax. Thanks!!

Mass
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

Rockport has some lovely beaches, though not a lot of parking for non residents. Both Long Beach and Cape Hedge beach are beautiful and sandy...certainly not shabby, especially at low tide.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

Just spent a weekend at The Seafarer Inn on Marmion Way in Rockport. We ended up there by default - I found them on the Rockport Innkeepers Assocation website (or something like that), called on short notice and they happened to have someone checking out early. The innkeeper told me that their "most modest" room would be available so, even though I'd never heard of this Inn, I accepted. I have to say it was one of the nicest places I've stayed and the breakfast was as nice or nicer than any I've seen at a B&B in any country (homemade baked goods, a lovely fruit salad, cereal, yogurt - all very nicely presented on a sunporch and taken out to one of the several tables on their beautiful wrap-around porch). The setting is beautiful (although we had some trouble actually finding it. If you go - don't use mapquest). The innkeepers were incredibly nice - more so than anywhere I've stayed. I really felt like I was visiting relatives who were waiting to see me. Oh, and their "most modest" room was terrific - spotless, bright and nicely decorated. I should mention that this was also our wedding night (our real honeymoon is in September). We'll definitely go back to the Seafarer and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

one more thing: don't confuse it with the "seaward", which is a house or two away and looks like it's ready to fall down. It's the Seafarer at #50 Marmion Way.

Columbus, GA
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

My husband and I just celebrated our 20th anniversary at the Beech Tree B&B in Rockport, MA. We stayed in the suite and absolutely loved it. Parking is directly in front of the B&B in their semi-circle driveway. It is within walking distance of both the downtown shops and the beech, but the beeches near downtown Rockport leave much to be desired. Judy and Russ have a guest pass for the residents only beeches on Long Beech which is just a 5 minute drive from the Inn and much better than the beeches within walking distance. They even provide beech chairs and towels for your trip. There is some road noise during the day, but we didn't really notice it unless we were enjoying the breeze on their porch.

The Beech Tree would be my choice should I ever have the opportunity to stay in Rockport again. The sheets on the beds are absolutely luxurious and so soft!. Breakfast is served from 8:30 - 9:00 each morning outside, weather permitting and was great each day. Judy is especially gifted in making your stay as enjoyable as possible. She made reservations for us at My Place by the Sea and we had the best view in the house. She found out we were scheduled for couple's massages at The Spa in Rockport and called ahead and got us a 10% discount. This is the best B&B we've ever stayed at and a B&B is always our stay of choice.

One word on Emerson's by the Sea....it is the most expensive stay on Rockport, but it is not within walking distance of any of the sights and is not on the beach I would want to visit.

Mass
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would Rockport make a nice honeymoon?

Seacrest is definitely one of the nicest Inn's in Rockport but it is not downtown, rather in a quiet neighborhood about 1 mile out of town. I did post previously that there are 2 lovely beaches in Rockport....Long Beach and Cape Hedge. Definitely not "shabby". Just need to know where to go. You could also rent the cottage on Thatcher's Island...that would be romantic!

Get answers to your questions about Rockport
Recent Conversations