We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's to know about Salisbury

Which Salisbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
97 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
What's to know about Salisbury

Looking to stay in Salisbury Mass this August. Will be renting a place on the beach. A few of questions:

1) Are dogs allowed on these beaches?

2) Where is the best place to get groceries? How far from the beach?

3) What is the 'must see/must do' in the area?

4) How is the traffic in this area?

5) Best places to eat; fast food also nice dinner?

We're trying some place new this summer. More familiar with Wells Beach, Me. area and Cape Cod. But this area looks nice.

Thanks for your help.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's to know about Salisbury

There may be some nice stretches in Salisbury but it's pretty downscale.

Don't know about dogs.

There are supermarkets in Seabrook, and a Walmart (plus lots of other retail in tax-free New Hampshire) not too far away. Traffic can be an issue.

Lots of nice restaurants in Newburyport just to the south.

What you would consider "must-dos" depends on your interests. There is a big video game arcade, maybe more then one, in Salisbury Beach, lots of really cheap souvenirs, lots of bars, a go-kart park, and (I think, honestly not really sure) a really big strip joint (google "Salisbury beach adult entertainment" - haven't tried that yet myself but I recall something in the news not long ago).

Edited: 28 February 2010, 10:57
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's to know about Salisbury

Most folks I know stay either in Hampton or Seabrook so I don't have a firsthand answer to your query. From what I can figure, at the State Reservation part of the beach, dogs are not allowed on the ocean side but are allowed on the river side. Perhaps you could contact the folks you are planning to rent from to get a definitive answer. The private side of the beach may have different rules.

Montoursville...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: What's to know about Salisbury

You can not legally allow dogs on the beach. Salisbury beach is a low key family beach. There is a state park beach area, with large parking lot and a lot of sandy beach area, huge parking lot, play area for children and a camping area. And then there is a separate smaller parking area which has meter parking with arcades, lots of places to walk and eat. Or you can dine in at a bar/restaurant. You well find grocery stores in Seabrook NH, Amesbury MA and Newburyport MA

Salisbury beach is a nice area for families. You can chose from cabins, camping, or motels which are all close to the beach.

Newburyport Ma is just across the bridge is a delightful place to shop, walk along the broadwalk or stop for a meal or a few.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's to know about Salisbury

I believe Salisbury allows dogs on the riverside beach NOT on the ocean side. Leased dogs are welcome on the beach at the Salisbury Beach State Reservation, which is located along Beach Rd. on Rte. 1A in Salisbury.

dogfriendly.com/server/…beachetiq.shtml

You could drive up the coast to Fort Foster in (Maine) while you're visiting here any way, it has great beaches thru southern NH & ME and this Fort Foster allows dogs on the beach, & there's plenty of beach for them. Dogs must be leashed but there is a section of their beach where everyone lets their dogs run free. It's a great spot with picnic grounds and hiking trails. For the most beach time, go around low tide.

Although it's dog-friendly off season, you can bring your dog to North Beach (NH) just past Rocky Bend and Hampton Beach heading north in the early morning & late day. Let's put it this way, go before and after the lifeguards take their post! You can set your watch to it at night, it's like clockwork at that beach when they leave. As soon as the lifeguards go home (4:00 may be 5:00) all of a sudden you'll see dogs playing and swimming off their leash with total glee, it's a hoot! Responsible owners frequent this particular beach since that immediate area is primarily year round residents and not just for the tourists. Also, like I said previously in Maine a great one to go to is "Seapoint Beach" which is near Fort Foster (the exit before the Kittery Outlets, you go around the rotary there & go straight up the road that has the Dairy Queen on the corner, you'll see it there) it's very dog friendly at low tide here.

On another note, yes Salisbury is pretty downscale. You'd love southern Maine's beaches better to tell you the truth or even Crane Beach in Ipswich or further south in thru Gloucester, MA. If you have your heart set on staying at Salisbury then make that your starting point for checking out all three states. You can even visit southern Maine, southern NH & Cape Ann in Mass. within a few hours, that's how close it all is.

Right at Salisbury Beach there's a neat music venue that recently opened. It's quite nice too. Check out their site. It's called the Blue Ocean Music Hall located at 40 Oceanfront North at Salisbury Beach:

www.blueoceanmusichall.com

This Blue Ocean Music Hall is a 560 person capacity state of the art oceanfront venue and their seating is within 50 feet of the stage. They have table service with limited menu & a full bar selection.

Within this complex across from it is the Seaglass Oceanside restaurant that you should go there even to check it out. Try to get a seat overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, it's incredible if you do here, when you get this type of seating here you're going to feel as if you're on the waves you're so close to the water! It's quite a place, here's info on it:

www.seaglassoceanside.com

Across the street from it is a really good Italian restaurant called Capri Seaside, it's been crowded on weekends quite a lot lately. May be by August when you arrive it'll die down a little! Every one is checking both these places out and by the time the summer gets here it'll be packed on weekends a lot. So you'll have to time it right for both these places. Here's info on the Capri Italian restaurant:

www.capriseaside.com

So that's about it from this end. Yes, there's a strip club called Tens in Salisbury. I thought it was a night club when it first opened! See how naive I am about these type of places! What do I know, lol! You'll laugh, I figured it was a really great night club for the 20 somethings with good music or something! I was even suggesting it a few times to my nieces for a good place for them to go, I never "suggested" again after that one! No wonder I got this strange look from them, lol!

You want to go to the "Ashworth By The Sea" Resort in Hampton Beach. It's got new owners and they recently renovated and updated their lounge, it's absolutely beautiful there now and they made a huge dance floor, it's bigger than it was before. It's a really great place to go at night, especially good on weekends.

You also could take a ride up to see the Marriott's Wentworth By The Sea Resort in New castle! It's phenomenal there too. You could head there along Rte 1-A it's just before you get to Portsmouth, so you could plan it so you do a boat cruise out of one of the towns along the coast, even out of Seabrook, Hampton or Rye they have a lot of great boat cruises. Look for the Uncle Oscar out of Rye! It's a good one. Up in Portsmouth you could take the boat to the Isle of Shoals, that's a fun afternoon trip, or even walking around Portsmouth is fun to check out their shops and all that.

Brown's Lobster Pound is great and so isn't Markey's across the road! Also, Tripli's Bakery has great pizza and cannoli's!

http://www.tripolibakery.com/

www.brownslobsterpound.com

I didn't see a site for Markey's, but any way, it's a good seafood restaurant directly across the road from Brown's, you can't miss it.

When you're cruising along the NH coast from Mass., look for the "Beach Plum" Ice Cream stand. It's got the best lobster rolls here. They're $16.95 but are they ever good! You can read about it in the New Hampshire forum!

You're going to be very busy! In Salisbury, don't forget to check out the Salisbury Beach "State Reservation"! Off season a lot of locals go there to see the horse back riders along the beach, it's beautiful with their sand dunes here and their over the sand boardwalk is great here! In fact, some of us like it better there now than the main beach, so remember that tip!

Have a wonderful time.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's to know about Salisbury

Leashed dogs, not leased, lol! Also, go to the Market Basket in Seabrook along Rte 1 for your groceries. You can't beat their prices.

By August the traffic will die down. It's bad right now because the bridge connecting Seabrook to Hampton Beach is being repaired. They're down to one lane and the back up is brutal. They hope to discontinue this repair work after Memorial Day or early June then resume again in the Fall. So when you get here it should be two lanes again and less traffic. You're going to notice the traffic leaving the beach on Sunday nights going along Rte 286 where Brown's and Markey's is. Don't go near that road until after 8PM at night, that's how much traffic there is along there heading south. If you're staying some where at the beach you won't even notice it. It starts around 3PM and doesn't let up till after 8 a lot of times. Like I said, by August it should die down though. It also depends on the weather by then. Once the late part of summer arrives, the kids are getting ready to go back to school and the traffic with the day trippers dies down quite a bit.

Another place that you should look for is the Galley Hatch Restaurant in Hampton and the Old Salt in the center of Hampton. There's a great 50's diner called "Fast Eddie's with great comfort food right across from the CVS in the town of Hampton along Rte 1 that's got every one going to it these days. You'd like their comfort food here!

ALSO, look for Hodgie's Ice Cream stand out on Rte 1 across from Lena's Seafood place. They have the best ice cream when you're in that area. There's one in Amesbury and Hodgie's Ice Cream Two is right in Salisbury:

www.hodgies.com

If you end up cruising south in Newburyport then you could go to the Not Your Average Joe's right in the center of town. It's a really good one. Try to get a seat out back along the Merrimac River, it's really good here. Another place we really like to go is the Black Cow restaurant, good for steaks here. A lot of neat taverns and pubs in Newburyport. You could stroll around and check them out. The Grog is still great and David's Tavern was always really good.

Along Rte 1 is Striper's Grill, that's excellent there, if you see it, go there for lunch or something. It's quite good.

If you want to go to a real local yocal place in Newburyport that's so good it's always crowded, then you'll have to go to 181 Merrimac Street for the "Park Lunch". It's one of the best places in Newburyport for lunch if you ask me, very low key and quite reasonable and great cuisine, especially there seafood believe it or not. Actually another good one, if you wanted to go more upscale then the Park Lunch then you could check out Joseph's Winter Street Cafe, if you're in the mood to listen to piano music then go here, it's great during the week.

Again, good luck and have a wonderful time, I certainly hope you get these two messages before your jaunt to Salisbury!

6. Re: What's to know about Salisbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Salisbury