We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

memorial day wkend

garden state...
Level Contributor
178 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
memorial day wkend

young couple seeks advice for memorial day wkend. driving up and staying in sandwich, ma. sat - tues. interested in going to martha's vineyard, hanging around the cape, not sure if should try to fit in boston. not sure if may is a good time for whale watching? interested in biking (thinking of doing that at MV), what is the canal like? good places to eat, but not too pricey? thnx in advance!

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: memorial day wkend

You were smart to make your Memorial Day plans as you did because you will miss a great deal of the traffic. Monday afternoon getting off Cape is one of the toughest commutes of the year. But do be sure to leave Jersey early on Saturday as 95 will be very busy with day trippers going to the Connecticut beaches.

I can't help you with specific Sandwich recommendations but will say that you need to be careful not to try to pack too much into your 2 1/2 day stay. A day trip to MV is doable from Falmouth and MV is a fun place to bike ride. We have always enjoyed renting bikes in Edgartown and riding out toward Gay Head. But that would mean a very full day.

A whale watch would be fun but could be chilly so be prepared with jackets and gloves. We like to go from Ptown (Dolphin cruises) but I know there has also been a whale watch tour from Barnstable Harbor (sorry, I don't know the name of the fleet) which would be much closer to Sandwich.

I am hoping others with more knowledge of Sandwich would answer but wanted to help you get this thread going (I'm a Jersey girl by birth!).

garden state...
Level Contributor
178 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: memorial day wkend

thnx for the advice about the traffic. actually we were thinking of doing friday in RI. sat we can either head straight for cape cod OR hit boston in the morning/early afternoon. we're not looking at doing too much in Boston - the truth is i'm most interested in the chocolate buffet they have @ langhma hotel. but now that you mentioned traffic i'm wondering if that's still a good idea? driving to boston and then to the cape on sat, that is. i realize MV would probably be a whole day thing - so that would be either SUN or MON. that still leaves 1 full day, sat aft/eve, and tues morn/aft to explore.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: memorial day wkend

They say that that chocolate buffet at the Langham is quite good....you just need to decide if you want to add 2 1/2 hours and driving/parking hassles to do that. If you do go to RI on Friday, be prepared for lots of late afternoon/early evening traffic. All Hudson River crossings will be tough.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,767 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: memorial day wkend

There's so much to see and do in Boston that it would be a shame to only come for the chocolate buffet. Given the extra driving time, it would probably make more sense to come at some other time when you can afford to stay there for a few days.

garden state...
Level Contributor
178 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: memorial day wkend

we will be arriving in RI early morn and hope to do 2 mansions and just walk around. we were planning on staying there overnite and then head out first thing sat morning. im definitely reconsidering boston, and wondering if it's best to head out to the cape. our itinerary for fri in RI is not set yet, but since we're getting there early, we should be ok? and what will driving early sat morn fr RI to cape may be like? thnx so much!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: memorial day wkend

Sandwich has lots to see and do.

The Heritage Museum with old car barn, and lovely grounds, will have rhodies in full bloom that weekend.

Glass Museum with displays of Sandwich glass, lots of explanations on the displays and a glass blower who demonstrates her craft with a wonderful spiel.

Hoxie House--oldest house on Cape. Furnished as it would have been in 1600's.

Dexter Grist Mill--demo and chance to buy stoneground cornmeal.

Thornton Burgess Museum.

All these are within an easy stroll at center of village.

Go out to the Boardwalk and take a walk over the marsh to the sand dunes and beach. From Stop&Shop go along Rte 6A to second traffic light and take a left on Jarvis St. to its end and then left on Boardwalk to the end. Park and then walk over boardwalk.

If you want to bike, the service roads on either side of the canal are great. they are fairly flat, about 7 miles end to end. Only bikers and walkers are allowed. There is a bike rental place on Rte 6A near the Stop&Shop shopping plaza. If you don't have a bike rack on the car, it is just a short way to the service road. If you want to walk, go down to the canal and park on the left side of the marina and enter service road. There are picnic tables and restrooms there.

Places to eat:

Seafood Sam's near the canal. Locals go here. Take out (and eat down by the canal) or eat in. Large dining room with windows with views of the canal (not right on the canal). Will probably be jammed on the weekend, but the line to order moves fairly quickly. Take Tupper Road, Town Neck Road on your left if coming from town center). sign for Sam's is second left.

British Beer Company--rte 6A near Stop&Shop--pizza, seafood, beef, chicken, etc.

Marshland--Rte 6A--near the firestation--delicious breakfast, great selection of lunches and all sorts of supper specials along with regular menu. Lots of repeat local customers.

If you head out to East SAndwich, Cafe6A has good breakfasts.

Things to see in East Sandwich,

Greenbriar nature center--wooodland and pasture walks. See relishes and fruit preserves being cooked the old fashioned way. Charming wildflower garden right by the building. Just off Rte 6A on your right as you come from town. Sign about 2 miles out of town.

Farther on, about 5 miles from town, take a scenic drive on Old County Road. See cranberry bogs just beginning to green up. The Nye house which dates from early 1700's is open for viewing. Next to it is the old Grange Hall.

Enjoy your stay!

garden state...
Level Contributor
178 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: memorial day wkend

this was great info! we will definitely print out this info and take w/ on our trip!

cape cod
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: memorial day wkend

Sandy Neck Beach is on the Sandwich/Barnstable line and is beautiful, nice beach, hiking etc.. So is the Boardwalk Beach... (go down Jarves street to Boardwalk st. and park, you'll see the board walk).

On 6A almost across from the entrance to Sandy Neck beach is Amari's a nice Italian restaurant with a fun bar, good food and music on certain days, its not cheap but not expensive either. Sweet Tomatoes pizza, not far from the Stop and Shop is the VERY BEST. If you like ice cream hit Twin Acres on 6A (about 1/2 mile west of the Stop and Shop) it's good ice cream and they have a huge, beautiful garden with benches and seats, filled with flowers to enjoy your cone in.

You can rent bikes on 6A by the Stop and Shop and head over to the canal, its a fairly flat bike ride but nice. I think its maybe like 6 miles (one way) end to end. It can be windy on the Canal. While down there you can look at boats, hit Seafood Sam's (casual but good seafood) hit yet another beach.

Sandwich is small but all good.

Close by is Mashpee Commons with shopping and a bunch of good restaurants (it's maybe a 10 minute drive from Sandwich). Hyannis is less then 20 minutes away and there is more to do there. I've taken the whale watch from Barnstable Harbor (up 6A about 20 minutes tops from Sandwich) and it was great, saw a bunch of whales. In Barnstable Village (which is by the whale watch) is the Dolphin restaurant, good seafood.

Enjoy!

Susan

www.undergroundCapeCod.com

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: memorial day wkend

You might consider getting on the Cape on Friday and visiting Boston and Newport on your way home after the holiday weekend. (or dividing up the other two visits: Newport on the way to the Cape on Friday and Boston on the way out of the Cape on your way home).

I agree that Boston and Newport offer so much worth seeing and this will be much easier to accomplish when all the long-weekenders are back home!

I don't have a list of which universities and colleges are graduating in Boston/R.I. next weekend, but it's that time of year and you'll be dealing with some of that too.

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: memorial day wkend

We & our daughter went to same univ in Providence, I live in NJ today, and over the years travel on rte 95 to & from Prov has just gotten worse & worse. It's a parking lot in CT from NY-New Haven nearly all the time.

We finally switched to using 287 to get out of NJ, it changes to 87 (Thruway) at the NY border, then turn east to cross the Hamilton Fish bridge at Newbburgh & use 84 through part of CT. Depends on whether going to Boston (stay on 84 till reaching the Masspike, then go straight in) or Prov but you can switch to 6 or 46 to get to RI.

It does add extra miles but we find it faster than sitting in parking lot traffic for hours. Prettier scenery, too.