We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sturbridge heritage motel?

Which Sturbridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
sturbridge heritage motel?

a question, we're visiting family in Sturbridge and I've booked rooms at the Sturbridge Heritage Motel. Based on tripadvisor reviews, it's great--but I was wondering if anyone else has stayed there and what are your impressions? thanks!!

tamworth,uk
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sturbridge heritage motel?

hi

me and my family stayed there in june this year the rooms are of a standard size around the same size as days inn etc. with two double beds in with ensuite bathroom with shower.there are i think about eight rooms in all set in a square room for one car outside the door the owners are very freindly and very helpful .for the price we paid you can not beat it we paid $548 or two weeks.please do not expect the ritz this is a budjet motel it is clean and basic and does the job very nicely.have fun

regards tony

FL
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: sturbridge heritage motel?

The charm of the Sturbridge Heritage Motel isn't found many places. It is great if you are looking for cheap, clean, and the basic comforts of home. It is also considerably quiet, considering that it is located on one of 2 main roads in Sturbridge. I agree with the other post in that it is not the Ritz, but you arent paying for that kind of stay anyway. In many ways, our stay was even better than if it had been at a more expensive place. We were able to do more because our lodging wasn't expensive, it wasn't shabby and unkept like many other budget motels, and you just can't beat a family run place. The owners live on site so the service is fantastic. The tripadvisor reviews are accurate, this place is tops, but not if your looking for elegance and a fancy suite. Basic, clean, comfortable, and affordable. Therein lies its charm.

PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sturbridge heritage motel?

I have to tell you, I just got back from Sturbridge, and I thought this hotel was absolutely awful. We had two rooms and each smelled disgusting!! Of cat urine!

Luckily, the owners only charged us for one of our reserved nights--we did stay that one night and could barely sleep for the stench. We moved to the Sturbridge Host for the last two nights--and were quite happy to pay the additonal 40$ per night.

While the Heritage did not look dirty, the smell was nearly indescribable. In addition, I thought the outside definitely needed some TLC. And what was with all the fake flowers and plants??

By no means did I expect the Ritz, but this was really unacceptable to me and everyone else in my party agreed.

But I do thank the owners for letting us out of the last two nights.

FL
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: sturbridge heritage motel?

have you ever tried to keep plants flowering year round in new england? fake plants are better than no plants. as far as the smell... i was not there, but all i know is that every time i have stayed there the rooms were fresh and clean. it is unfortunate that our advice did not work for someone like you, but for anyone else reading this post looking to stay at the motel, I would tell you to look at the SEVERAL other completely positive reviews and understand that one bad stay does not make the motel bad. and lastly, for people to judge a mom and pop motel and compare it to the Sturbridge Host is unfair at any level. Great clean rooms, friendly atmosphere and affordable price cannot be equalled by anyone else in the area.

congratulations to the owners for handling the situation responsibly. i can't say i would have done the same.

PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sturbridge heritage motel?

I don't know why you seem to be taking this so personally. My response was intended for informational purposes...

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sturbridge heritage motel?

PJ, your response was perfectly fine. Maybe the other poster has always had good experiences...but that doesn't mean that you didn't have a bad experience...and I think that it's great that you didn't flame the owners, in fact, you complimented them...

We had a good experience at the Sturbridge Days Inn two years ago, but I saw that someone else complained of bedbugs. One of us posters was fine with it, the other hated it (with good reason!!). The location ambiance was not all that, but the owners were friendly and our room was clean.

And, flowers grow just fine in Sturbridge....fake flowers? Doesn't add much in the charm category!! :)

PJ, I'm also going to Sturbridge to visit family...maybe we're related, or our parents/grandparents were friends!! Know any L'Heureuxs or Teatreaults from there???

FL
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: sturbridge heritage motel?

not personal, just letting others know what its really like there. a post like yours could kill a small mom and pop place like that. you should really think before you make such accusations. and i didnt say flowers in the summer, i said year round. it is new england people.

PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sturbridge heritage motel?

Thanks Ducky. I don't think we're related, my uncle relocated to Mass when he was a young man and married a woman who I believe was from Southbridge. Plus, I have no French ancestry....beautiful French names by the way!

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sturbridge heritage motel?

PJ...aawww...too bad! I thought I might have found a long lost cousin... yes, Sturbridge and Southbridge had many French Canadian immigrants...My mom and dad both went to French school in the area, and didn't speak English until they were 10. My pepere (grandpa) refused to learn English...my mom spoke French to him until he died in the 1960s. I have a verrrry french first name, and by 4 years old I learned to say "I don't speak french" in french, because all of the "memeres" in the grocery store would hear my mom call me by name, and rush up to me and start blabbing in french!

denance....PJ didn't make accusations, just observations. Everyone is entitled to that. You have had great experiences; that's terrific. But on this occasion, the room smelled. I don't think PJ posted that to put the mom and pop place out of business. It just was what it was. And he complimented them, as well. He didn't flame anyone. You weren't there, and you didn't smell the room. The rooms that you stayed in previously were obviously good for you, and didn't smell, but that doesn't mean that PJ didn't have a different experience.

Re: the fake flowers. It appears PJ just visited in August. No one expects real flowers in the snow!, but in August?? Again, it was just an observation...you might not mind the ambiance of fake flowers in the yard.. .or maybe plastic flamingos??? LOL, just kidding! Don't take things so seriously. PJ didn't flame anyone. It was just something that was not to PJ's taste. And that's okay.

If you read my prior post on this thread, someone complained about bedbugs at the Sturbridge Days Inn. I had been there two years ago and found it very clean, albeit lacking ambiance. It too is a mom and pop place, and the owners were very nice, and I'd hate to see them hurt by the comment. But that poster is entitled to their opinion, too. Anyone who wants to stay there will need to make up their own mind. I would imagine that the owners have taken care of the problem, and from what I've been reading, bedbugs can occur in clean places too.

So you keep patronizing the places you like; and PJ, and I will patronize places we like; we should all post our observations and experiences, good and bad, in these forums; and readers of these posts will make their own choices. It's good to see both good and bad points of view. But please, don't assume that an observation is meant to put a mom and pop place out of business. I don't think that was PJ's intent, PJ was just making a "trip report" as people often do on the forums, to give feedback, which is courteous after asking for opinions!

Have a good day, all!

PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sturbridge heritage motel?

word, ducky.

Get answers to your questions about Sturbridge