We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

Montross, Virginia
2 posts
Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

Im considering traveling to this seemingly beautiful place, however I've often had my vacations tainted by, to be frank, racist ignorant buttholes. I don't want to spend my hard earned money for people to treat me that way and I don't want my children to be unhappy and uncomfortable because I'm hurt. If you're a interracial family or black family, how was your experience here, Salem and in Boston? As I hear that wayland isn't far from these major tourist places. But again, if you had a bad experience and please be honest, I cannot justify spending my families vacation time frustrated and harassed, will take my money elsewhere. Thank you

17 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,979 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

Mt family is mix-raced via the miracle of adoption but to be honest, I do not feel qualified to answer. Having lived here all my life, I definitely see thing different than a visitor.

But I have a question for you ... You posted on the forum for the town of Wayland. Is your question about Wayland specifically, or the Boston area in general, or even broader, like eastern Massachusetts or ???

Montross, Virginia
2 posts
2. Re: Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

Wayland specifically, but if one is from other areas nearby and feel they can answer or have been through way land as a visitor that would be helpful.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
217 reviews
3. Re: Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

Wayland is a suburb west of Boston and off the beaten tourist path in that there really isn't very much in the way of attractions there that would be of interest to many visitors, although it isn't too far from historical Concord. Are you looking at a house rental there (I'm not sure if there are any hotels there)? It is probably about 30-40 minutes from Boston, depending on traffic.

Edited: 23 August 2015, 18:14
Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

Kiley, I think it will be hard to find a lot of interracial families who will reply... simply based on knowing how many people actually read and write on this forum. So even though I do not meet your requirements for responding, here goes:

Boston is mostly a very highly educated and liberal town. We are pretty concerned with individual rights. We only have 7% of residents who report themselves as black (2010 Census data), yet we elected and reelected a black governor twice, and of course voted for Obama twice. So, I would not think that persons of color, or a family of mixed race would raise an eyebrow.

Come give us a visit. Boston happens to be a great city for kids to explore.

LMM

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,378 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

How will we know you are a tourist as opposed to a black or interracial couple from the area?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,979 posts
67 reviews
6. Re: Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

But perhaps the more important question, regardless of your family's racial composition, is why would you want to be a tourist in Wayland?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,979 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

Oops. Dup post. Cannot remove on phone!

Edited: 23 August 2015, 20:36
Boston...
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
8. Re: Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

Wayland is an upper income suburb with a few retail areas. It is not as sleepy as Weston but far from bustling. There are a few stores and restaurants. It's a good 45 minute drive to Boston and back during rush hours, if not longer. Route 20 can be a slow crawl. I go there a few times a year to buy plants at a very good nursery. Except for grocery shopping and limited dining, there's not much to do there.

The figure above referring to a 7% black population refers to all of Massachusetts. The population of Boston is about 24% black, 9% Asian, and 18% Hispanic. It is now a majority "minority" city. I can't think that an interracial family would run into problems here. I can't speak from experience but from what I see. I live in a very diverse part of Boston.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

There are ignorant racists all over the place. Thankfully, the ones who are despicable enough to make things unpleasant for complete strangers are a very small minority. Of course, it only takes one to ruin your day, but I think it's extremely unlikely you would encounter anyone or anything that would make you regret having come to the Boston area.

I'm not part of the demographic you directed your question to either, but as LoonMountainMan said, it's not likely you're going to get much response from people who qualify.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Black and interracial families that have traveled here only

Good point, Ting. Minority population is concentrated in Boston... but still, a mostly white state voted for both black governor and president. :)

Reply to: Black and interracial families that have traveled here only
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wayland