We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather, packing, bugs, and shopping

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
782 posts
291 reviews
Save Topic
weather, packing, bugs, and shopping

I just posted a question about laundromats, and now I have a few more questions about Williamstown and the nearby area. My husband and I will be staying in Williamstown June 11-30 at Maple Terrace Motel. What is the weather typically like at that time of year, and will it be cool enough for a jacket in the evening and early morning--or even while walking in the woods? Also, is that a bad time for black flies, mosquitoes, or any other kind of unpleasant bugs?

What is the closest Target or other big store for general merchandise? What are the best supermarkets, natural food stores, and drugstores in or close to town?

I noticed that the last post in this forum was a long time ago, so I hope someone is reading!

6 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,246 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather, packing, bugs, and shopping

Weather has been unusual lately. You can find historical weather and averages for neighboring North Adams herr

https:/…

On June 11 2017 temps ranged from 57-88 and it was not too humid.

On June 21 2016 temps ranged from 53-77 and over a quarter of an inch of rain fell

On June 30 2015 temps ranged from 52 to 72 and less than a tenth of an inch of rain fell.

Definitely bring a jacket.

North Adams has a WalMart.

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
782 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather, packing, bugs, and shopping

Thanks, forgotmypword. Do you know anything about the bug situation?

Also, do you know if Williamstown has a laundromat? I asked that in a separate question but it has not been answered yet.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,246 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather, packing, bugs, and shopping

Sorry I do not. I have not been to the area in years and the bug situation can vary from year to year,based on rainfall

Lenox, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
430 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather, packing, bugs, and shopping

There really isn't a terrible black fly or even mosquito season like in some areas. Our friends literally have to leave there home in NH for vacation for a couple of weeks each year during black fly season.

As forgotmypword mentioned, it varies year to year. There certainly are mosquitoes, but they are usually manageable. We hike and kayak a lot and normal mosquito repellent containing DEET has almost always been sufficient.

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
782 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather, packing, bugs, and shopping

That's good to hear, C from NY. We will definitely pack the DEET repellent.

Chantilly
Level Contributor
28 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather, packing, bugs, and shopping

I am happy to see you are staying at maple terrace , I have stayed there many times when visiting my parents who in the area . I am not aware of any laundry mat

Reply to: weather, packing, bugs, and shopping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Williamstown
More Williamstown Topics