We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mohawk Trail State Forest and Mount Greylock

Which Williamstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mohawk Trail State Forest and Mount Greylock

This weekend, my boyfriend, dog and I will be camping at Mohawk Trail State Forest. We also want to go hiking at Mount Greylock for the day. I know it is about an hour away, but can anyone recommend a moderate hike – we definitely want a work out, but we don’t want to hike for more than 5 hours. And, is it easy to park at a trail head and such? Any information would be awesome! Lastly, does anyone have any suggestions on good places to stop and grab a sandwich or food for lunch? It doesn’t seem like there is much around the area. Thank you!!!

6 replies to this topic
conn
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mohawk Trail State Forest and Mount Greylock

Check out the area called the Hopper, there is 150 year old "Old Growth Forest" here. I was there 10 years ago and the trees were enormous. Not much like it in the NorthEast.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mohawk Trail State Forest and Mount Greylock

When I am in that area I usually stop at the Freight Yard Pub for lunch - good pub food and draft beer:

http://freightyardpub.com/

Lenox, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
316 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mohawk Trail State Forest and Mount Greylock

You have a number of good choices. Jones Nose is another nice choice. Mass Parks puts out a very good overview brochure for Greylock hikes with good maps and accurate descriptions. Link here:

mass.gov/dcr/…suggestedhikes.pdf

As an aside, he drive south to north (heading up) via Quarry Rd. is nicer in both directions than Notch Rd.

The Old Forge, 125 North Main Street in Lanesboro is a good stop. Decent food, fair prices, and not far from Greylock on Rt 7.

Zucchini's is a little further south in Pittsfield and a better choice. Very good pizza as well, which is very hard to find around there.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mohawk Trail State Forest and Mount Greylock

I agree with "C from NY". Rockwell Rd (not sure where Quarry Rd is) is a much better road than Notch Road (coming from Rt 7) as it was just re-paved and viewpoints added. There is a lot of parking along here and well marked for hikers.

Also agree about Olde Forge. I worked there for a few years in High School and Community College. Another choice would be Matt Reilly's Pub as well. Reilly's and Zucchini's are both south of the entrance to Greylock while the Forge is just north of the road to Greylock.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mohawk Trail State Forest and Mount Greylock

There is a nice article in today's New York Times about the Mohawk Trail:

…nytimes.com/2012/…

I think it answers all your questions. :-)

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mohawk Trail State Forest and Mount Greylock

Rain and fog can limit the view. Rain gear might be needed.:-(

Reply to: Mohawk Trail State Forest and Mount Greylock
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Williamstown