We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Great Barrington to Woods Hole

London
Level Contributor
90 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Great Barrington to Woods Hole

I have been on the Peter Pan Bus site and though I can get from Great Barrington to Lee, there is then a 3.5 hour wait for the bus from Lee to Woods Hole.

When I put in Lee as the starting point (or Lenox) it appears that the bus does not go to Woods Hole!

Please, can anyone tell me how one gets from GB to WH by public transport by bus or train? We do not want to drive.

TIA,

Carol

London
Level Contributor
90 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Bus from Great Barrington to Woods Hole

That is the plan we have right now. We are able to get a lift from Great Barrington to Lee and then shall take the bus to Boston and then the bus to Woods Hole.

As we have not yet made our plane reservations we are thinking of going to Boston from London and returning from Boston to London. Of course it means missing all my friends who are in NYC!

Carol

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
664 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Bus from Great Barrington to Woods Hole

Can you connect through Providence RI? Peter Pan will get you from Providence to Woods Hole with a ten-minute (or so) layover/change in Bourne.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
664 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Bus from Great Barrington to Woods Hole

How about direct ferry service from New York to Martha's Vineyard?

http://www.seastreak.com/

Very limited service begins May 21, but it might fit your plans.

London
Level Contributor
90 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Bus from Great Barrington to Woods Hole

Thank you for your suggestion and link. This might work for us to get back top NYC. I have kept the site and shall definately look more closely at it when we work out our final travel plans..

Such a pleasant way to travel!

Carol

London
Level Contributor
90 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Bus from Great Barrington to Woods Hole

Unfortunately, there is the same delay at Lee/Lenox of 3.5 hours between the bus I get at Great Neck and the one I have to change to at Lee.

What I shall have to look up is the length of the journey from Lee to Providence -v-Boston.

Carol

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
664 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Bus from Great Barrington to Woods Hole

You're probably pretty weary of investigating all the options to get from Great Barrington to Boston or Cape Cod, but I'll give you these just the same. There's a Peter Pan Bus route from New York to Boston that stops in Danbury, Connecticut. Getting from Great Barrington to Danbury doesn't look like it would be any better for you, but maybe. The same bus also stops in Waterbury and Hartford, Connecticut. It might not be any better, but it's available.

Amtrak rail has one train a day that comes from Chicago and stops in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. I will bet my bottom dollar that the train will be late, perhaps hideously so. The scheduled arrival in Boston for the one train is about 9:00 p.m., so that might not fit your plans well, either. Especially if it's late.

I would think travelling from Great Barrington to either Boston or Providence will be about the same time. I offer it only for more possibilities with timetables.

One more option would be private car service. The first one that comes to mind is Boston Coach. (bostoncoach.com). They will give you a price if you use their internet request form. There are several other private car services in Massachusetts. A quick search of "massachusetts carservice" showed me many results. I won't even guess what the price would be because I've never used them, but maybe when all is said and done it might work for you, both for time and price. They would get you straight to where you are going, or get you to a hub such as Boston South Station or Hartford, Connecticut, where you could connect to something else. Or perhaps, a private car service originating in Hartford, Connecticut might be cheaper and work just as well. (Bradley Airport is the Hartford Airport, and I'd start there to locate options.)

To get from Boston to New York there are many options. Boltbus.com, megabus.com, fungwah bus, amtrak train, Peter Pan bus. The buses direct from Boston to New York are all about 20 dollars one-way. Amtrak is 60 or 70 dollars one-way to New York, more to get from New York back to Boston. There is a lot of competition and one bus or another leaves every thirty minutes. Don't miss out on visiting your friends!

I live on the Cape and travel regularly to New York City. My preferred route is the Peter Pan Woods Hole bus to Boston and then BoltBus only because the BoltBus timetable fits my scheduled arrival from the Cape.

Good Luck! I hope all the travelling and connecting and transfers, etc do not take away too much from your trip!

Harry

Edited: 15 April 2010, 22:11
London
Level Contributor
90 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Bus from Great Barrington to Woods Hole

You arre why I love this site! You and all the other people who have taken so much time and trouble to help with this problem. Thank you so much. I have saved, as with others, your suggestions.

As we have not yet booked our flighjt, everything is still to be decided.

I did ask a firm I was recommened to about the cost of going from GB to WH and was quoted $250. I shall look at the ones you mentioned and see if the price could be a bit lower. If the expression "time is money" still holds true, the $250 might work out cheaper than the bus to Boston and then the bus from Boston to WH for two people. We'll see.

Carol

28. Re: Bus from Great Barrington to Woods Hole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Woods Hole