We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving advice

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
Driving advice

I was thinking about driving to Worcester. Although I have heard really horrible things about the drivers in Worcester and the surrounding area. Especially Kelley Square.

peterventuralaw.com/vehicle-accidents/worces…

Does anyone have any tips? Would I be able to get around easily without a car? is there good public transportation?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving advice

I Googled "Worcester public transportation" and found this site at the top of a long list (on which, admittedly, many entries are not related to Worcester, MA):

http://www.therta.com/

I haven't driven in Worcester very much--but have done so on various occasions--and I've never used public transportation there. But until I saw your post, I have never been aware of the city's having a particularly bad reputation for driving. You are perhaps aware that Massachusetts as a whole has such a reputation. I don't doubt that there are bad drivers and dangerous intersections there, as there are practically everywhere. However, I wouldn't dream of refraining from driving out of concern that I couldn't do so safely. Unless you have very specific travel needs that happen to be neatly met by the transit service (which I think is pretty unlikely), I think you would regret not having a car, especially if you hope to travel some around the area. My advice is to put those statistics and horrible things out of your mind, drive safely and carefully, and enjoy your visit.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving advice

People, including me, have driven in Worcester without incident for years. Time to stop reading (except for here, of course).

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving advice

Thanks you guys. I appreciate it. I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read. But I also saw this video of Kelley Square and it freaked me out a bit. I cannot believe there are no stop lights at this intersection... that is crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC6PlBEepaE

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving advice

Looks pretty nasty. But take heart in the fact that there don't seem to be any accidents captured in that video, even at those high speeds.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 00:03
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving advice

You can spend a lot of time in Worcester without going anywhere near Kelly Square.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
669 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving advice

I grew up in Worcester and have driven in Kelley Square hundreds of times and it really isn't bad. No worse than any other busy intersection.

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving advice

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to: Driving advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted