We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

Which Worcester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
43 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

So my California daughter is going to WPI, and the flights are so much cheaper out of Boston that we are going with those. Public transportation is a mystery to her, and I am not far behind. I have gone to the MBTA site, and have figured out how she can get from Worcester to South Station, but cannot figure out how to get from South Station to the Airport. I can see that it is the Silver line, but don't know if that is a train or bus or what. Does anyone have some step by step instructions that they would be willing to write down here to help us out?

Thank you in advance.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

I've never taken the silver line but I believe it's a giant zip line about 500 feet high in the air spanning Boston Harbor between South Station and Logan Airport. Either that or it's a bus.

The key to taking public transportation is to know which direction the bus or train or whatever is going. I ride the commuter rail between Winchester and Lowell and people often ask me "is this where I get the train to Boston?" or "does this train go to Boston?". One time a woman was frantically trying to ask me something in a language I could not identify, possibly Cambodian, and I couldn't help her. So knowing English helps a lot.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

Oh Thomas!

The Silver Line is a bus. Here's a traveler article to give you more details: (tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60745-s303/Boston:Ma…)

The MBTA site has a trip planner that gives you step by step directions. In your case pick itinerary 2 from Union to Logan airport http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/trip_planner/

Edited: 06 July 2014, 12:39
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

Or when you get to South Station, you can just follow the signs that say "Silver Line to Logan Airport."

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,416 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

When you enter South Station you are at street level. You need to go down to the subway level. Like wpsaukee said, the signage is good, she will be fine.

San Diego
Level Contributor
43 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

@Thomas G-Dang! She was hoping for the zip line!

@Mahj-Thank you for the article, that helps a lot. I tried the itinerary and I am too far out. It tells me there is nothing running. But I did try by pretending she was going today, so it makes more sense now.

@wpsaukee-I can hope the signage will be enough, but she is dyslexic. If an arrow points right, it's a 50-50 chance she'll turn the correct way. Good thing there is no Rivels or Sliver line, or she'd be in big trouble. But at least if she knows she needs to find a bus, she won't get on a train by accident. (Her favorite t-shirt: "Dyslexics of the World Untie!" )

@forgotmypword-Good to know! That will also help a lot.

Thank you all for responding. We have it covered now. Much appreciated!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,416 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

There is only one area to go down via stairs/escalator. It is tough to get lost

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

It doesn't look like a bus though, it looks like a trolley. There are also pictures of airplanes on the signs. Or she can just ask someone, there are lots of MBTA employees in South Station and most of the natives are very friendly.

Coconut Creek...
Level Contributor
211 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

She can take the Purple Line train at Worcester Union Station to Boston South Station(it takes about one hour and half),then the Silver Line(MTA)to Logan international Airport.The Peter Pan bus to South Station is quicker and non-stop to South Station,Boston(one hour,terminal is next to Union Station).I used Peter Pan buses from Worcester to Boston's South Station when I visited Worcester and its excellent art museum,very close to WPI.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

Purple line = commuter rail. No one calls it the purple line.

San Diego
Level Contributor
43 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worcester to Logan Intl by train-How?

Peter Pan bus? The culture shock is going to be severe.... (Is there a Tinkerbell trolley? Sorry, I couldn't resist.)